Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival tins/pouches outdated idea?
18 February 2012, 10:07,
Survival tins/pouches outdated idea?
Survival tins (first line)
Ive always had a 3 layer bug out system.
First line is what i can carry on me, this is multi tool on belt, a lighter in each pocket, paracord bracelet, wallet, keys and survival tin.

Survival tins are small metal tins filled with the basics for survival. There are many survival tins available through dealers these are fairly good but are never good as making your own. Commerical tins are usually filled with items that are fairly poor quaility to say the least.

Your survival tin can be adapted to suit the area your in ie, if you're in the desert and you want a way of getting out of the sun, you will put some kind of material or plastic in there...and if you're in the jungle you may not want to be eaten alive by bugs so you'll put an insect repellant in.

Tobacco size tins make the ideal cantainer as it fits in a pocket. It should have a seal, if it doesn't use mastic to make a seal smear the mastic inside the lid and wait for it to dry. When it's dried it will form a perfect waterproof seal. Being metal you will be able to use the bottom half of the tin to cook with or boil water for drinking.

The contains of my survival tin.
Tobacco tin
razor blade (taped to the lid)
water proof matches and strikers
large sawing needle, (taped to lid)
fishing kit (hooks, line & split shot)
paracetamol tablets
quaility small locking knife
plastic bag (with the re-sealable top)
plasters
antiseptic wipes
very small led torch
water purification tablets
lighter
cotton wool
tin foil
snare wire
safety pins
polished lid used as a signal mirror
small amount of duct tape
Electrical tape used to seal the lid
paracord wrapped around the tin
quaility mini compass
wire saw (wrist loops)
whistle
hacksaw blade

Second line webbing pouches/assault vest/bum-bag
My second line is not carried until i need it.

Survival pouch
A survival pouch is similer to the survival tin but bigger and is not carried on your person at all times. One or two utility pouches and webbing belt is ideal for a survival pouch set up. The reason i use utility pouches is that you can fit mess tins in. My fixed blade survival knife also fits onto the belt.
As with survival tins your pouches can reflect your surrounding area. It should contain things to make a shelter, light fires, fix wounds, read maps, cut wood or metal, and food.

My survival pouches include
paracord
mess tins
compass
sewing kit
fak
purification tablets
snare wire
whistle
torch
survival blanket
lighters
duct tape
bigger fishing kit
light sticks
water bottle and pouch
energy bars
water filter straw
spork
emergency food
hexcooker and fuel
brew kit
plastic sheeting

Third line is my bob.

18 February 2012, 11:49,
RE: Survival tins/pouches outdated idea?
I stopped carrying a PSK years ago after I left the army, I just keep odds n sods like a mini compass, water puri tabs, whistle etc on a length of paracord around my neck, and a multi tool.

18 February 2012, 13:17,
RE: Survival tins/pouches outdated idea?
I dont carry one at all. knives are a no no in the city anyway, unless you fancy a night in the cells, fishing kits pretty useless as well, wouldnt eat a canal caught fish if i were starving... not much use for a compass etc. And besides I'm never usually far from home where my gear is anyway and come hell or high water nobody's stopping me getting home to my main kit.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."