Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of "Your" air rifles..
29 July 2018, 22:42,
RE: One of "Your" air rifles..
The HW80
Is my favourite weirauch . I’ve owned four of them over the years . Every time I’ve sold one I regretted it and bought another . They’re a heavy beast and really only perform at their best in fac . They’re strangled at 12ft lbs. If I ever find a mint mk1 for a good price I’ll snap it up though . Far better built than the current ones . I’m not a fan of the splined barrel and star nut of the new break barrels . For our legal limit though I do rate the 99s. The 80 with a pinned barrel is the finest mass produced break barrel ever made . If I ever go down the fac route for air rifles I’d pick an hw80 in .22,Or a Diana 52 . Now they really do perform well but weigh an absolute ton .
30 July 2018, 00:26,
If were going for the FAC I believe I would go the PCP route to get full throttle power without fighting a spring to cock the rifle or worry about all that spring bounce.

I have put about 500 shots through the little '30 this week and I must say I am more pleased with it each day.

Originally I was not expecting to do much 25 yard shooting with it but it seems so accurate at that range I am apparently addicted to trying to make the smallest possible groups at that range.

It also has enough power to flip over the steel flippers on the automatic reset target I have down there at that range. It would not do that at first but it seems to have gained some power somewhere around the 250 shot mark.

Those disks are 1.75 inch diameter and 3/16" thick. I actually wish they were smaller! They are becoming a boring effort.
30 July 2018, 14:22,
I know two people who have fac rated HW80's one at 22ft/lb and another at 30 ft/lb, not had a go with the higher powered one but the 22 ft/lb one is superb and feels little different to mine to shoot in terms of recoil but obviously shoots a bit flatter has a little longer range and hits harder , i know what's been done to achieve this power rating and it's quite readily achievable on mine with little work and minimal parts.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 July 2018, 16:26,
I have a Beeman that shoots at 22 ft/lb and it is misery to shoot.

Slaps, bucks, jumps and twangs to the point that it stings my face when I shoot. Also is very twitchy in the accuracy department, which might be me not enjoying the shooting experience.

That gun is the reason I bought my first PCP rifle.

What to do to get a HW80 up to 22 fp/lbs? Not an issue. Use the same spring they send to the U.S. and preload it a little.

The HW80 sent over here already exceeds 1000fps in .177 using a 7 grain lead pellet.

They give you guys the spring out of the little model 50, or one equal to it.
31 July 2018, 22:46,
Had quite a surprise the other day while browsing the net.....looked at the webley tempest air pistol.....the price.....£235.....i believe last ones made in Turkey but now discontinued?.

I bought mine (a 22) in the 80s.... for plinking and sharpening target shooting groups....cost me about 30 quid....still in it’s original box.
1 August 2018, 17:35,
From my experiences dealing with hard core collectors that box is worth more than the pistol inside it.
1 August 2018, 19:13,
Yes i’ve still got the original box with it’s polystyrene insert, the allen key for sight adjustment, and a tin of supplied pellets. When using the pistol i usually transfer it to a butterfly case, i bet i’ve still got the receipt for it.
1 August 2018, 21:24,
You best make some smaller spinners Mort to stop the boredom creeping in .Glad you're still enjoying the simple joys of the HW30.
I'm curious regarding an HW80 kicking out 30ft lb's though.Im guessing it'll be very snappy and unpleasant to shoot as that's really a bit much for it.I still remember fondly the quest for extreme power when I was younger .From cramming an ox Spring into a Webley mk3 to squirting 3 in 1 oil down the transfer port of a very reluctant Haenal 303 .
I spent years questing for power when I was younger until I owned a Career 707 which after opening up the transfer port to 3mm and increasing the hammer Spring tension yielded some very scary results.I quickly reverted it back to how it was and sold it.It was sending Eley magnums through four inches of hardwood and taking pieces out of the brick backstop .
I'm much happier with a .177 running just over 10ft lb's these days. Though back in the 80's when chrono's were rare I always used the yellow pages . I bulged the cylinder on a very nice Webley mk3 though while shooting Prometheus z2's through it with an ox Spring crammed into it.I deserve a good kicking for that as it was a lovely rifle and they really don't build them like that anymore.
9 August 2018, 01:47,
I have a response and a question.

First, I did make some smaller spiners. I used 3/4" mild steel strip and cut it 3" long. I clamped one end in the vise and took a pipe wrench to it and twisted the top 90%. I drilled a hole in the top flat and ran a big screw through the hole and into my target rack post. I mounted 5 of them up the post and painted them orange. They offer a 3/4"x 1" aiming spot and do a good job of both curing boredom and showing off.

Even the little HW30 sends them spinning like mad. Of course the 30 also sends the big swingers made for my 9mm dancing a bit and the flip over targets intended for the heavier air guns still flip real well when hit solidly.

The question concerns mounting a scope on the HW30. I can not get a scope to hold zero when mounting on the 11mm groves.

Yes I am using the pin stops and air gun rated scopes. I have tested a half dozen different scopes and can not get any to hold zero.

Now here is the kicker! I have used two different long eye relief scopes, by mounting them on a clamp mount out on the barrel, and they do just fine.

I fear that my barrel is not returning to lock up precisely after cocking and loading. The barrel mounted scope bypasses this issue, but does not give me the magnification I desire. I am limited to 7x with the LER.

Anyone else ever had an issue with the barrel not returning to battery precisely?
9 August 2018, 05:52,
I've had this problem with worn out bsa meteors but not with a Weihrauch. It does sound like a lockup issue though Mort.Have you tried easing off the tension on the barrel bolt.Im guessing you're losing zero vertically?. I would ease off the barrel lock up bolt a little and try again . It may be too tight . I know it sounds strange but it may help.
If that doesn't work you could try adding weight at the muzzle to see if that cures it. The HW95 can suffer from muzzle flip and weighting the barrel can cure it. I've not heard of it happening with the 30 but that's worth a try too.
If neither of those suggestions help it may be a fault with the lockup itself, or the scope mounts . I can't see it being six faulty scopes though.
Are you using the same mounts with each scope Mort?. I always use a quality one piece mount on Spring rifles. I'm not a fan of two piece mounts even with a stop pin.