Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night vision pointers please
12 September 2018, 15:39,
RE: Night vision pointers please
Anyone and everyone needs a night vision setup just as much as they need a torch. In a hostile situation they need the NV gear MORE than they need a torch.

What you need as your night vision device will be controlled by two variables, what do you expect and how much can you pay.

for "dog walking" you will probably be just as well off with some of the old generation 1 gear which is cheap as chips most places.

My outdoor suppliers flood me with adds for all sorts of NV gear so your choices are infinite. What will be best for you is up to you.

I have a set of binos that go out to 100m with image definition but not recognition clarity. I could tell there was a dog standing there but I could not tell if it was MY dog! They cost $50 us.

I also have infared capability to install on my scoped rifles. It is Gen 1 technology much like that used in WW2. It sends a beam out and that IR light is scanned by an IR camera and shown on a screen. It has amazing clarity and I can identify targets and shoot things as small as a rat accurately out to 100m. Cost on that was $125 us.

You can get very good monoculars for about $400 and the cost go up to "what are you willing to pay" and performance to match.

About all I can tell you about the expensive devices is what my friends that own them say. But most of those devices are intended to be mounted on rifles and not carried in the pocket during dog walks.

Have you considered attaching a chem-light to Charlie's collar. You can buy a lot of chem-lights for the cost of a NV setup. Buy them from the kids toy section and not the sporting good section, they are much cheaper bought as toys.

Messages In This Thread
Night vision pointers please - by Midnitemo - 11 September 2018, 17:51
RE: Night vision pointers please - by CharlesHarris - 11 September 2018, 19:11
RE: Night vision pointers please - by Mortblanc - 12 September 2018, 15:39
RE: Night vision pointers please - by Midnitemo - 12 September 2018, 16:47
RE: Night vision pointers please - by Mortblanc - 13 September 2018, 15:48