Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
traded utility vehicles
10 November 2018, 17:31,
RE: traded utility vehicles
One of my primary factors in this decision was the present condition of my back and my age.

Getting in and out of a regular car, no matter what type, was causing me pain and I was actually delaying trips out and about to avoid dealing with that situation.

The SUV, truck, or even small SUV, is generally easier to get in and out.

As for getting an old model with less complicated electronics??? I began a search on that and found that I would have to go back to late 1970 models to get that. We started using throttle body fuel injection controlled by computer way back in the day. Any vehicle still in good enough shape to drive that does not have computer controlled ignition is in the hands of a collector.

In some areas of the US the life expectancy of a vehicle is only 10-12 years due to our weather. In the northern areas they use some very corrosive chemicals on the roads and the vehicles simply dissolve as you drive them. At 10 years they are ready for the crusher. No vehicles without computer controls exists because they all died!

I am on the border of that area. They use chemicals on our roads but not enough to ruin a vehicle that quickly. It can still be a problem if the rust starts unseen and dissolves key points like frame/body mounts or frame/suspension connections.

So what you get is a situation where if the weather is bad enough for you to need 4wd the vehicle will be damaged beyond restoring after 10 years.

For me the decision to get 4wd was not a real factor. I would have accepted the present vehicle in 2wd.

The presence of a computer was not a factor. That is now simply a fact of existence. I accept the fact that if my tail light goes out the check engine light will fire up and the vehicle will not start! It is part of the plot against humanity by TPTB.

My primary consideration was condition and miles on the running gear, along with that comfort thing. I have managed to get around 200k out of all my other Jeeps and if I get that out of this one it will last me for 10-15 years before major repairs arrive.

Messages In This Thread
traded utility vehicles - by Mortblanc - 7 November 2018, 23:36
RE: traded utility vehicles - by LAC - 8 November 2018, 15:01
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Midnitemo - 8 November 2018, 16:05
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Mortblanc - 8 November 2018, 17:27
RE: traded utility vehicles - by LAC - 8 November 2018, 21:30
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Pete Grey - 9 November 2018, 21:10
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Midnitemo - 9 November 2018, 21:41
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Mortblanc - 10 November 2018, 17:31
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Midnitemo - 10 November 2018, 18:12
RE: traded utility vehicles - by Mortblanc - 13 November 2018, 15:43