Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RUBBISH
26 January 2012, 23:27,
RUBBISH
SHTF.
Our default setting is BI (Bug In).
We have a years worth of tined/dried food.
We collect water from natural sources (buttress, blocked fall pipe etc).
We are as armed and defended as we can be!

What do we do with our shit ?

Where do we empty our piss?

What do we do with our rubbish?
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
26 January 2012, 23:42, (This post was last modified: 26 January 2012, 23:45 by Scythe13.)
RE: RUBBISH
Compost toilet. For pee and poo.

As for rubbish, you'll produce very little. Inevitably you'll find uses for much of it.

Things like food rubbish you'll be composting. Paper, carboard will be burned to stay warm, or saved for that same reason for winter.

Plastics can be melted to fix things, or for storage. You could even melt it down and make beads and buttons out of it.
Tins will be used as water storage, or if you're smart and have purchased tin covers (usually for catfood) you can reuse them for more storage of fresh grown food.
The biggest 'waste' will be dirty water. But if you solar-still that, you'll solve 2 problems with 1. You can even solar-still pee.
27 January 2012, 00:49,
I'm with Scythe...

Only thing is that what is rubbish now may be useful so don't just throw things away. When you do throw them move them away from your location so it isn't obvious.

And one final thing to consider there will be tons of rubbish around after an event, dead bodies, useless cars and everyone elses junk. For your health sake you need to clean it up before it attracts vermin. You should try and get others to do this with you if you are around.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 January 2012, 03:19,
If you are Bugged In - High security style, then if you have a ground floor or basement -->

remove a section maybe four feet square of floorboards in a little used out of the way area. Dig down a hole maybe 4 feet again. Store the earth to the side out of the way of the hole access. Use this for depositing waste. Periodically cover with a layer of the dirt. Preferably place furniture around the hole to avoid inadvertantly falling in. Could place boards over when not in use. Place this disposal hole as far away as poss from cooking, washing & general living areas. Could be a nice little trap behing the front door - lol. enjoy.
27 January 2012, 07:16,
I have decking in part of my back garden that I installed myself, when I put in the frame to support the timbers I made a small section about 4ft sq and cut the timbers to fit it. This has given me an area that I can easily detatch after an event and allow me to dispose of food / human waste safely and discreetly.

There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

27 January 2012, 09:30,
You'll want a long drop. Something about 10 feet deep. No less than 6 feet. Also, you'll want to let air get to it, as well as a bit of sunlight to increase the rate at which it breaks down.

Look into solar toilets. You could even go as far as to install an organic matter system, that uses coke and moss to break it down faster.
27 January 2012, 09:47, (This post was last modified: 27 January 2012, 09:50 by NorthernRaider.)
(26 January 2012, 23:27)Jodansgang Wrote: What do we do with our shit ?

Where do we empty our piss?

What do we do with our rubbish?

Composting or Chemical toilet. Long term covert your crap into fertiliser and your pee into tanning liquid.
Burn it
Grey water from the household can be left for a while then used to water and feed willows and reeds, which will be useful materiels.
For those of you who can and are into sustainability etc try a visit to the CAT center in wales of Findhorn Eco Village in Scotland.

27 January 2012, 11:30,
I just thought of something.

Around where a person urinates, the ground becomes saturated with nitrogen. The ninja used to utilise the nitrogen from the ground around a toilet to make explosives.

Not sure how they did it all. But I'm sure there will be something online.
27 January 2012, 12:18,
I have a file somewhere. It's the phosphates. That is why it makes good fertiliser.

Things like this are why gun control is a laugh. When you can fashion a gun in prison with no tools and under supervision with common items you cannot limit it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 January 2012, 12:52,
A cannon is called that because a Canon's pee was considered the best source of nitrogen to make gunpowder by the monks. Strange but true.
Joe.
NB: Please note the different spelling. This is because it has changed through time.