Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That time of year
17 January 2019, 15:45,
That time of year
It is that time of year again. The time when suppliers desperate for winter business reduce their prices to the bare bones and offer us deals we can not refuse.

Anyone buying any goodies?

I just ordered a portable tent shower for $8 U.S., with free shipping. That price is less than the normal shipping charge would be!

I also ordered a 3mx4m screen room to use as a front porch for the big tent or whatever else I decide to use for shelter. Also priced ridiculously cheap and free shipping.

I suppose it pays off in the long run if you do your camp shopping when there is snow lying on the ground!
17 January 2019, 18:52,
RE: That time of year
We’ve had two new sleeping bags, not silly prices but a good saving, this weekend we will be getting new light weight summer walking boots, £24 instead of £69 from a nearby clearance outlet.

I also need a better daysac for EDC, one with a chest strap and waist belt that won’t slip of my shoulders if i have to run, or if i’m wearing a nylon waterproof.
17 January 2019, 20:18,
The only thing I really need right now is 300 square metres of DPM (polythene) to protect the banking ….although I have covered the top of the banking , the engineer has now recommended covering the front face …..when I asked him before ….this was not important ? …...now it is ?
19 January 2019, 21:45,
Yea, a Karrimor water/wind proof jacket (lined) 50% off from £90 to £45, and a new pair of Dunlop steel toe hiking boots half price at £27 (not the best but adequate for general outdoor walking and ice/snow conditions).

Just back from Finland, nice winter camp with fire and permanent log basha.
20 January 2019, 17:58,
(17 January 2019, 18:52)Pete Grey Wrote: We’ve had two new sleeping bags, not silly prices but a good saving, this weekend we will be getting new light weight summer walking boots, £24 instead of £69 from a nearby clearance outlet.

I also need a better daysac for EDC, one with a chest strap and waist belt that won’t slip of my shoulders if i have to run, or if i’m wearing a nylon waterproof.

On my list i still need a more powerful inverter. I also want a pair of baofeng BF 888s, (really simple units for two old folk), from what i’ve read from old posts they can be programmed to PMR446 frequencies on low or high power 0.5w or 4w, give a better range if TSHTF, problem is programming software is not available for apple computers, but i do know a guy (registered HAM) who might oblige.
21 January 2019, 15:14,
What power inverters are you using now Pete?

No need for power to invert past what you have capability to produce or link too.

There is also the factor where the larger the inverter the quicker you run the batteries flat.

For cost and effectiveness when you go past the 1000-1500 watt inverter units you are better off buying a gen-set of equal wattage.
21 January 2019, 17:37,
(21 January 2019, 15:14)Mortblanc Wrote: What power inverters are you using now Pete?

No need for power to invert past what you have capability to produce or link too.

There is also the factor where the larger the inverter the quicker you run the batteries flat.

For cost and effectiveness when you go past the 1000-1500 watt inverter units you are better off buying a gen-set of equal wattage.

I thought the inverter was 300w but on checking it’s only 200w, bit low really.

Thinking about what you say, and bearing in mind our needs will be mostly 12v after an event, it will be better just to get a second inverter (300-400w max) so we have a spare, and another leasure battery. Then maybe more solar power.

MB you’re saving me some money.