Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yep that's snow
31 January 2019, 16:25,
RE: Yep that's snow
Well its 15.20 hrs and still no signs of snow...….we are all gonna die ! of fake news ! …...I even put the genny in place …..and bought two dozen extra eggs……….to slap on my face just in case .
31 January 2019, 18:15,
CH may have a bit more snow than myself. I have 5cm on the ground with more on the way but the snow is not the issue.

What is putting us in danger over here, and it is a real danger, is the temperatures.

It is so cold that you simply can not warm the structures and if one is in a questionable situation it becomes impossible. Schools are closed due to inability to keep the buildings safely warm.

I am in a well insulated house and a thermometer by my chair might read 20C and one on the table across the room only 10c and you can feel the wind moving between the two pressure area inside the room!

I spent a good bit of time hunting down drafts I had never noticed before to find that there was no crack or gap leaking air. It was just cold air chasing the warm air about the room.

When my power went bad yesterday I fired up a propane heater and retreated to a room 4mx4m and kept it at 18c, the rest of the house dropped below 10c after 2 hours.

My refrigerator normally keeps food at a standard 4c, yesterday in the middle of the day I discovered all the liquids in the fridge were frozen solid. Makes for one he!! of a crispy salad!

Outside the wind chills are a danger due to the excessive wind that came with this system. We have had colder temps or just as cold, in the past, but this system carried 20-40mph winds that forced the wind chill down dramatically and they are using the mew system and not the old wind chill calculations.

That is another trick the forecasters use, they change the method of calculation and recording so temps appear warmer than they once did. Under the old system we would have been reading -40c-50c wind chill.

SS I know you have not had anything yet but it does appear there is something on the way. These big systems usually become very predictable in the last few hours before they strike. The south has advisory for 3-10cm and Scotland already has more than that on the ground.

But do not fear. In common with drivers all over the world your people will forget how to drive on snow and bash each other senseless, slipping and sliding like morons on cheap ice skates. It's not just you, drivers are like that everywhere.

They do say the Finns have a knack for driving on the snow but I don't believe it! I have seen the films of them and they are slipping and sliding just like everyone else. The difference is that instead of having a look of terror on their faces they have a big grin!
31 January 2019, 18:44,
Here it comes ! 17.28 hrs SNOW …….and sticking good , and cold ….as temps drop outside its 23.5C in here right now just from the wood stove on the lowest setting ! ……..beef stew anyone ! …..i'll just take the pan off the stove.....go wash up and sit yourself down at the table ! …..please help yourself to the fresh home baked bread.....hell.... eat the loaf ! .
1 February 2019, 03:01,
Thanks SS but I'll have to pass. The bread would throw my blood sugar into a fit.

I did have some fried chicken and veggie mix this evening that was tasty.

We have fresh snow coming down also. It had to warm up to snow. A virtual heat wave -10C. We expect 7-12cm by morning on top of the 3-5cm we already have.
1 February 2019, 13:00,
We had about 3" snow last night , sunshine this morning and thawing out now , gone from amber to yellow warning , roads are clear and traffic moving with ease , but the South Wales valleys mining villages are ALL built on hills and narrow roads I doubt people will be driving out today , even if you got out …..you will not be driving back , even in a 4X4 ….except a landy maybe.

That reminds me MB ……..have you a stock of waffles pal ? ……...roll on Spring ! my favourite time of year .
1 February 2019, 17:28,
At 11 am -9 degs. C with 4cm of fresh snow so far this am,
the following email from the National Weather Service went out this morning:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1009 AM EST Fri Feb 1 2019

MDZ003-VAZ028-WVZ051>053-055-012000-
/O.CON.KLWX.WW.Y.0009.000000T0000Z-190201T2000Z/
Washington-Frederick VA-Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-Hardy-
1009 AM EST Fri Feb 1 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulation of 2 to 5
inches. The highest amounts will be near the Allegheny
Highlands and Mason-Dixon Line. The steadiest snow is expected
through 1 PM.

* WHERE...Portions of north central Maryland, northwest Virginia
and the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...Until 3 PM EST this afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The hazardous conditions will impact travel
with snow covered and slippery roads.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will
cause primarily travel difficulties. Expect snow covered roads
and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

$$

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
1 February 2019, 18:20,
Ya know the worst thing about this whole mess?

I woke up this morning and looked outside at the new fallen snow now totaling about 5" then looked at the thermometer which read -10C and thought,

Hummm, not that bad today!

I am very bored and have been sealed up inside for three days. I'm going out to play in the Jeep!

Pick up a burger and chips and some munchies at the Dollar Store.

You know, essentials
2 February 2019, 16:39,
See there fellows it was worth the wait. Now you have "the Great Snow of 2019" to talk about for a decade!

There was ice and it was slick, which is treacherous.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-winter-chi...n-11625477
2 February 2019, 17:43,
No snow in the west midlands, looks like we’ve missed all the excitement again.
14 February 2019, 16:42,
Would you believe that in one 24 hour period last week we went from -25c up to 20c degrees.

Since then it has dumped almost a foot of rain, so we are now trying to survive the flooding!

The Ohio River, which is a bit larger than the Thames at London, is out of its banks and will be for another week or more.

Around here it is something all the time! Spring storm season is now due to begin. Tornadoes!