Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGs camper van
26 September 2019, 19:09,
RE: PGs camper van
(25 September 2019, 23:41)Pete Grey Wrote: ....................if we have to use the car the crate could be a lift saver

....................meant to say LIFE saver.
6 October 2019, 13:52,
Exclamation  RE: PGs camper van
The camper will not be used for any more holiday trips this year, so now it goes into BO mode.

The water tank has been drained, propane bottles are both full, winter sleeping bags stowed and everything has been cleaned inside. We have put an extra crate of food inside, two jerrycans, and some extra warm clothing, just in case.

We have not yet fully winterised it yet, many things to check, but fuel tank is full and the dehumidifier will keep things dry.

It’s ready to go in minutes, four to six weeks provisions on board, half an hour to fully load with all the crates if things appear to be going TU.
25 March 2020, 20:42,
Normally at this time of year we would be getting the camper ready to start the holiday season. However even though normal campsites are staying shut and any unnecessary travel is frowned on, we will still get the van ready for a BO if law and order breaks down to such an extent our lives are in danger.
25 March 2020, 21:47,
Snap ! Pete.....same here .
10 July 2020, 20:18,
Even though campsites in England are now open, with the restrictions in place due to covid (see the camping and caravan club website for example), we see no point in camping in the near future, not until there is more freedom. We are busy enough with home preps and gardening, but at our own leisure.

The camper however is as always in BO mode and ready to go in minutes. Full fuel tank, batteries on a charger/maintainer, handbrake off but wheels chocked, tyre pressures checked and engine started every other week.
21 October 2020, 22:19,
Thinking about the camper, there’s provision to fit a roof rack (the type accessed by a fixed ladder at the rear), there are stainless bolts bonded in the fibreglass, they are even fitted with dome nuts.
So i’m looking to get some aluminium or stainless angle and make a carrier for a permanently fitted solar panel, then a new charge controller and inverter.
The 100w folding panel will still be useful for usb AA and AAA charging, and can be used anywhere.
22 October 2020, 14:53,
PG, I'm in the process of fitting something similar to our daughter's caravan. Intention is to get her the hardware as birthday & Xmas presents and install everything over-winter so she's up and running next spring.

I'm going with a 100w flexible panel in order to save weight. This will be laced into a frame using elasticated cord, and the framed panel mounted in the van's front window when being trailed, and outdoors, aligned for max sun when on temporary sites.

The downside to flexible panels is their very much shorter life expectancy. But they are cheap, so we're treating this one as a disposable test.

Have you purchased the charge controller yet Pete? I've had a cheapo Chinese one from e-bay in operation for more than 5 years and its still going strong, so no need to send a fortune. The latest one I purchased, for the caravan project, was £7.00 delivered.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 October 2020, 22:24,
LS i’ve only just decided on this so i have not sourced anything yet, it will also be an over winter project. I want provision to be able to tilt the panel while on the roof so i might go for a flexible one, but it must be stable and safe while driving at 70mph.

With a caravan or a camper van i agree 100W is ideal for battery charging, vehicle, leisure or AA/AAA rechargeables, which is all i think we would need on a holiday or in a BO.
23 October 2020, 11:11,
PG
yes there are some good Youtube videos showing families spending week long holidays off grid, using just one 100w panel. I noted that they were running heating and refrigeration from LPG though.

Inclination AND Orientation of panel are important to get highest output. If you are assured of being able to orientate the van so that fixed panel points due south then all well and good. but this seems unlikely?

Our solution is to have the panel mounted INSIDE the front window while the van stands at home or is in transit.
This means considerably reduced generation at these time, but means the vans batteries should always be trickle charged to maximum before the start of every trip.

Being so light, when at overnight site, the framed panel can be easily positioned outside ( on top) of the van at optimum orientation and tilt.

These are the panels I mean. £25 including a 20a charge controller. You'll se that the panel has eyes in the corners so that it can be lashed to fixing points on frame/ roof: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-Solar-Pa...4678457367
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 October 2020, 13:20,
I have a solar panel in my van window trickle charging the battery and it has worked fine for years. Even after times I've not used the van for months, during the great covid cock up for example, it started fine first turn every time. Had to take it for its MOT last week.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin