Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
killed by an Elephant???
7 May 2019, 15:39,
killed by an Elephant???
I absolutely had no idea where to post this article. It is a tragic reminder that the animals we often try to protect are wild creatures and have no appreciation for acts of kindness, nor do they comprehend intent. It is not in their DNA. Eat, Survive, Reproduce, and part of that survival is crushing any threat that comes near.

Of course the current nature documentaries do not promote safety what with the use of telephoto lenses making it look like the performers are right up in the animals space.

https://news.sky.com/story/british-soldi...i-11713784

I was impressed at how the news agency stretched the article out for several paragraphs about the soldiers record without giving a single factual detail about his death.

I certainly hope it as not a "hold my beer and watch this!" incident.

Also a reminder to take the headphones out and turn off the phone, there might be an elephant sneaking up on you!
8 May 2019, 10:24,
RE: killed by an Elephant???
I understand that in Africa lots of people are killed by Hippos who simply walk to the next patch of food and squash people underfoot. No malice just a bungling large animal not thinking and people too dumb to get out of the way because Hippos aren't seen as dangerous. (Pretty much defines our Government processes too Smile )
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 May 2019, 14:57,
My understanding is that hippos are responsible for more deaths in Africa than any other beast!

As you say, they fan out over the countryside to graze at night and have nasty tempers too boot. We think of them as river dwellers but that is their daytime pursuit.

Probably best to stay indoors after dark.

Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world with one of the lowest annual income levels, and has no industrial base. Almost 100% rural and agricultural.

I have friends in Malawi and have never heard them speak of a poaching problem. Perhaps I was too busy laughing at the explosive diarrhea and goat head on a bed of rice stories.

Of course the wildlife management officers in my own area are constantly catching poachers and I never hear about that either.
8 May 2019, 16:27,
and lets not forget Cows. Apparently they are the biggest single killer of Farmers in the UK.

Because these animals are not considered dangerous people are careless about them and when you get careless about an animal that weighs several tons you don't get second chances.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 May 2019, 22:51,
Interestingly MB. I've been on safari in Kenya and in our open air safari truck we were accompanied by two game keepers, both of whom had loaded assault rifles. I asked don't you guys use tranquilizer guns? One just solumnly shook his head. No, he said, it takes too long to work. If an animal presents a danger to tourists we just shoot it dead, we don't take any chances, although we have respect for the animals, they are all dangerous. Even ones people don't think are dangerous, like zebras, can be very dangerous and very aggressive. The one we watch for the most though is the black rhino, if it's very angry it could overturn this vehicle and stamp all of us to death given the chance. Opened my eyes - even just going on a safari as a tourist is a potentially dangerous experience.
10 May 2019, 08:49,
I suppose there is a lesson in this.... don't tick off the wild animals.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
10 May 2019, 10:39,
As a default you should tick off as few creatures as possible. I was savaged by a chicken a few weeks ago. It thought it was fighting for its life, it was, and I received a long and deep scratch on my forearm. That can prove fatal in an survival situation.
Skean Dhude
11 May 2019, 17:11,
You guys really have it rough with the chickens, cows, ducks and hedgehogs.

Check this video out, you can skip directly to minute 4.00 to see what we can deal with here in the States in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHlcg1axzmQ

BTW, the young lady in the video is an unusual person. With a degree in engineering from one of the top Universities she chucked it all to be a professional hiker and outdoor consultant.

In the past 4 years she has traversed the U.S. north to south three times for a total of almost 10,000 miles hiked. She is one of the few women to hold the "Triple Crown" for Hiking the three sanctioned trails here. The Application Trail, The Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail.

If you watch from the first of the video remember that the snow she is traveling through is lying on the ground in June.

She is not only a backpacker, she is also a dedicated prepper, living in a hurricane prone area, and acts as a consultant for several of the more "normal" groups.