Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity needs when the grids down.
25 February 2022, 20:47,
RE: Electricity needs when the grids down.
Just read the Camping and Caravan club data sheet 33, “a guide to leisure batteries”, it’s very informative on all types of batteries.
25 February 2022, 21:55,
Many thanks Pete ! .
26 February 2022, 09:29,
why is it on most prepper forums that the electric grid being down is such a scary subject to most? this desperate need to have power is beyond me! in a power cut other short term alternatives are available and in the longer term it is possible to live without it. I know because I have done it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2022, 15:57,
(26 February 2022, 09:29)bigpaul Wrote: why is it on most prepper forums that the electric grid being down is such a scary subject to most? this desperate need to have power is beyond me! in a power cut other short term alternatives are available and in the longer term it is possible to live without it. I know because I have done it.

Paul you may be quite content to manage without electricity but we’re not just talking about short term outages, if a few simple preps will make life easier why not ?.
26 February 2022, 16:07,
I think it was Pete that said it best BP ....and I agree with him , I would rather have the means to power up the kit that I do have for as long as I can and for ever how long that lasts ....be it solar, wind or a generator ....when that’s gone it’s gone ,but giving us time to come up with other alternatives ....to me that’s what most preppers DO
And seen as standard practices ....you seem to favour a more survivalist approach and dive in with zero comforts and you are prepared suffer and suck it up without the help of any modern trinkets ....it’s as if you are resigned to the fact these trinkets are destined to fail ...so you deny any part of them that could aid you and cut them out as a default ? Now I am not suggesting your logic is wrong ...or my logic is better and maybe we are both correct ....which ever who cares so long as we prevail ....by any means !
27 February 2022, 09:16,
its just that I have lived without power for many years in a past life, I lived very happily without any frills and fancies.
there was no suffering involved, my needs are very simple, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
wife was brought up in an off grid country cottage with just storm lanterns for light and hand cranked well water.
mankind lived for a long time without electricity, this electricity grid thing is fairly new in the length of human history but the majority of the population seem to be unable to survive without it.
to me a natural life is the best option in a long term SHTF, most people wont have the option of solar panels or wind turbines, these things may be okay at the beginning but without a manufacturing base and a supply line they are just waiting to fail, if one relies on such things one could be in a life threatening situation when they fail and fail they will.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 February 2022, 10:39,
I can well relate to that lifestyle BP .....my grandparents lived off grid for most of their lives along with their three daughters until their late teens early twenties on a small holding ....on the opposite mountain and pretty much directly opposite my place ! .....oil lamps and a radio for the news and the archers for entertainment for gran ....powered by accumulators ( batteries ) ....it was my job On a Saturday to walk the two miles with the battery to the old flour mill ,drop it off and pick up the charges one plus three pounds of layers pellets for the hens ( this was for balance ! Grandad said ) then the uphill trek to the farmhouse .....sometimes getting a lift on the back of trailer being towed by a grey tractor ...he knew how I was “ come on young un climb aboard and hold tight “ .....so what’s the point SS ......obviously the radio and the battery that powered it up .....contact with the outside world ...that was the only thing of power they had , I remember well if the news was on everyone HAD to be silent and if the archers we on “ come boys out to play gran would say “ .....even in a force ten gale .....but we were very happy back then ... life was rich and full ....and meant something plus very simple ....trinkets were handmade they were treasured more than this iPad .
27 February 2022, 10:52,
I'm kind of old fashioned SS, I like the simpler ways, closer to the soil and all that.
I spent most(not all) of my life growing up in a big city but I got out as often as I could (more often as I got older) into the countryside, I relate more to animals than people. and the countryside is my retreat.
we live now in a rural location, some have said its remote, and I wouldnt want to be anywhere else, especially with the world the way it is and especially during the last week or so.
in a long term SHTF world my philosophy is K.I.S.S.-Keep it simple, stupid or Keep it simply stupid to put it better.
the simple ways are the easiest to obtain, why make life contemplated especially when resources are limited or non existent, no back up or resupply is coming, there is no 7th cavalry coming over the hill to save people, in SHTF we are alone and we will have to survive alone without any outside help. thats my philosophy anyway, take it or leave it.
27 February 2022, 11:12,
(27 February 2022, 10:52)bigpaul Wrote: I'm kind of old fashioned SS, I like the simpler ways, closer to the soil and all that.
I spent most(not all) of my life growing up in a big city but I got out as often as I could (more often as I got older) into the countryside, I relate more to animals than people. and the countryside is my retreat.
we live now in a rural location, some have said its remote, and I wouldnt want to be anywhere else, especially with the world the way it is and especially during the last week or so.
in a long term SHTF world my philosophy is K.I.S.S.-Keep it simple, stupid or #Keep it stupidly simple to put it better.
the simple ways are the easiest to obtain, why make life contemplated especially when resources are limited or non existent, no back up or resupply is coming, there is no 7th cavalry coming over the hill to save people, in SHTF we are alone and we will have to survive alone without any outside help. thats my philosophy anyway, take it or leave it.
#correction.
27 February 2022, 14:42,
It’s not that I do not understand the lifestyle you would seek after tshtf .....or before it come to that , most people that already live rural or out in the sticks ....do so by choice and not luck ,they love the countryside just as much as you or I ......as for the backup power systems ( I already have ) and fully aware they will fail at some point I except it with no problem at all .....I’m expecting it to do just that ....but while it’s working I will reap the benefits of what ever that brings , it would be plain stupid not to ....no one buys a new garden spade then refuse to use it just in case they break the shaft / handle and use a piece of wood with a point crafted with a knife to dig over some ground .....and then there’s the knife ! .....in short ....BP like you I don’t rely on any one thing electric or not
Not got all the answers but I do know quite a few of them ......now that’s quite enough justification on my part lol .