Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid 19 right now ! And post covid 19
9 June 2020, 19:24,
RE: Covid 19 right now ! And post covid 19
I agree with you SS but there is a problem with the "grow your own food" rationale.

I was just reading the other day that 83% of Great Britain lives in a flat or in a development with 14 houses to the acre.

That means that at the very best only 17% of the population has a hope of growing more than a tomato in a pot on the window still.

Part of that 17% probably has only a 5 meter square, paved back garden.

When people speak of GB only growing 30%-40% of the food needed to maintain the population they are actually saying that only 3%-5% of the population is raising that food.

95% of your population do not know how to poke a seed into the ground, and they have no ground to poke!

Even the people on this forum have only limited access to food growing space, thought they know they need to be planting, there is nowhere to plant.

It is much the same over here with only 2% of the population being full time farmers. The real danger being that the population is not made up of first generation urban dwellers. Our populations are now 2,3 or 4 generations removed from the land with no connection, knowledge or expectation of what to do with a crop.

How many of the present and last generations ever heard their parents talking about what they did while growing up on the farm. They ate their dinner while watching the liberal commentators on TV push the established social agenda, not talking about what work needed done the next day in the fields and why, or what needed to be "put up" for the coming winter for both humans and animals.

The only hope that I can see is to stockpile non-perishables now for next winter. Not having enough space is no longer an excuse.

We old time preppers here in the U.S. have a saying, "stack it high and stack it deep".

Move the furniture around or move it out if you have too, just make enough room for a can of beans a day for the next 365 days and enough bottled propane to warm them up.

BTW, I have not been able to find a packet of yeast locally since the announcement of the lockdown. It is one item that has not made it back onto the shelves as the stores recovered. I have stocked up on baking powder for "quick breads" and have resorted to those forms rather than the ubiquitous "loaf".

Our selections of canned goods and frozen foods is also still limited. They are there, but not necessarily what you desire.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Covid 19 right now ! And post covid 19 - by Mortblanc - 9 June 2020, 19:24