Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xiegu G1M Longer range coms on a budget
11 December 2020, 12:10,
RE: Xiegu G1M Longer range coms on a budget
Only in key infrastructure areas. It doesn't care what you use and will in fact use the loopholes in your kit to monitor you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 December 2020, 14:43,
good reason not to use it then.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 December 2020, 15:40,
Well, It's a reason for nothing spending 30K on a Chinese router in your network but not for a £50 local comms system.

You have to weigh up the risks for your specific situation. To me having 5 Chinese radios is preferable to having one US one.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 December 2020, 15:45,
I have a couple of radios for receiving but I shant be communicating with anyone.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 December 2020, 00:13,
The G1M has an amazing receiver, and the G90 even better.

In the last week using the G1M and simple antenna I’ve picked up national broadcast stations across Europe Africa North central and South America, Russia, Asia and Asia Pacific. This includes BBC world service transmissions for Middle East and Africa.

Also Amateur Radio conversations across the UK, Europe, Russia, Asia, Middle East, Africa, Australia/NZ, Greenland, Canada, USA. These are slightly harder to locate and require more accurate tuning than the Broadcast stations, but doable with a bit of practice.

A few CB radio SSB and AM transmissions were heard, all UK and European.

If the microphone is left unplugged, Its not able to transmit anything at all...... which might keep even BP happy ?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

16 December 2020, 10:52,
my problem has always been who I was supposed to be communicating with, especially post SHTF.
most channels would be shut down by the govt after an event, I think they did this after the Boston bombings in the US.
16 December 2020, 15:29,
My tongue in cheek comment above was really about receivable communications, not who you'd be communicating to BP.

Indeed cell phones were shut down by authorities immediately after first explosion in Boston. Likewise cellphone network became overwhelmed after Hurricane Katrina.

But the radio I'm talking about here operates on entirely different frequencies. Frequencies so far distanced from those of a cell phone, that phone blocking does not affect them.

The point is that using this kind of radio allows us to listen to what's happening nationally, across Europe and worldwide. It allows us to hear information from both official government sources as well as on the ground independent news.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

16 December 2020, 18:00,
Quite right LS ! That’s why I bought my set a few years back based on your recommendation , the main purpose for ME at any rate was to listen in ....to get information when most all else is shut down ! Plus the localised information from local hams .......not forgetting our very own hamsters ! That live on this very forum !
16 December 2020, 22:33,
Don't forget local comms. We can communicate with locals when the phones are dead as well as listen globally and locally.
Skean Dhude
21 December 2020, 14:10,
(16 December 2020, 18:00)Straight Shooter Wrote: Quite right LS ! That’s why I bought my set a few years back based on your recommendation , the main purpose for ME at any rate was to listen in ....to get information when most all else is shut down ! Plus the localised information from local hams .......not forgetting our very own hamsters ! That live on this very forum !

How did the recommendation work out SS? Are you able to hear the stuff we predicted?

Have you found frequencies of broadcast stations are during daylight hours and those for night time?

Any luck picking up Ham SSB and Morse transmissions? ( 3.5Mhz at night, 7 Mhz Day and evening and 14Mhz 21Mhz and 27/8Mhz during daylight hours)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580