Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
13 February 2021, 06:32,
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
I just got a call from a friend. We have a series of weather systems headed through bringing "severe winter weather" our way. Old CH will probably get a taste of this one along with me.

We have not been above freezing here in a week. Starting Sunday night we will have first sleet and freezing rain turning to snow and continuing for two days. Highs around -4c, some days as low as -10 for a high temp.

Snow stops Wednesday but starts again Thursday. No temp above 0c for the next week.

Everything that falls will freeze so our total accumulation will vary depending on how much is sleet and how much is snow. At any rate we expect between 30-60cm of something.

My friend, who I have thought an intelligent person, says to me, "If the electricity goes out I'm screwed!"

He has lived in this area for his entire life, he is 65. We have winter each year, and we have snow each year. And each year the electricity goes out either short term or long term. It is not something we think "might happen", we absolutely know it is going to happen!

And this is a man that claims to be prepared for war, pestilence, riot, revolution and famine, but he is not prepared for the snow storm that he absolutely, positively, is certain will arrive in two days, and he intends to do nothing further about his situation.

Why do I mention this? Because I have come to realize that there is a portion of the population that does not want to be prepared, they know that bad things are going to happen and they just don't want to deal with the trouble of admitting they need to work their brain around one extra thing.

Same with people that claim to be preppers in any part of the world but refuse to face the realities of their specific social and geographic situations.

As my friend said, "You're screwed", even if you think you're not.

De' Nile, yep it's a river in Egypt.
13 February 2021, 10:29,
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
it is normal to start prepping with the usual threats and risks in ones immediate location.
we start with the weather, what if we cant get to the shops for awhile because of bad weather, even the local shops? what if there is a power cut? in colder climates this is really important.
once we have planned for the more usual threats and risks in our area we can move onto the more long term risks.
thats how we all started isnt it?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 February 2021, 17:48,
Been cold here for the past ten days or more, its snowing as I type but light about 2” so far over three hours .....there is more to come ! ......I started two generators a week ago and again this morning second pull and away they go ! The Jotul 602 has been in full use for months , right now it’s 24.5 C with the 602 smouldering near the shut position ( just cracked open ) with four full baskets of logs in attendance .....just hanging about .

As I read MB s posts ( over the past eight years ) with regard to HIS winters ...it takes me back to 1963 ....big snow and big freeze ......scrapping my name into the ice on the inside of those box sash windows single glass back then ........as we talk in inches MB talks in feet ......we do not seem to get those bad winters here now in fact we don’t do much better in the summers , there is no real seasons anymore ( like there used to be ) no definition ! .

As regards your friend MB .....that seems so odd .....something a sheeple would say or do , there again who knows what go’s on in the minds of some ? That old age thing ? How long do I have left anyway , is there any point or purpose to carry on .....I know of many such types ! And I just do not get the negative attitude (you never say die ) .....in fact I have a special BOB it contains two tins of baked beans , one tin of corned beef , I can of dried potatoes , some of my dyhadrated veg from the garden, a stove , bottle of water , salt n pepper , bottle of single malt , and lots of ice ......just in case I go downwards rather than upwards ....but it’s coming in the coffin !
14 February 2021, 00:52,
Yes it’s been bitterly cold here for the last week, but the light covering of snow we had has all but gone. Our Little Wenlock stove has also been on continuously since October, we burn smokeless coal, a bucket of which keeps it going nice and steady for 24 hours.

Yes I remember the winter of 63, I was working at a steel works, permanent nights, 12 hour shifts, outside in 18 inches of snow. When I got home went strait to bed I was that cold, got up 7pm a meal then off to work again.
14 February 2021, 11:10,
I remember 63, I was 15 years old and had just started work.
we still had an open fire at home then, it was my job to bring in the coal and logs and to clean out the ashes and lay a new fire ready to be lit, an experience most 15 years olds in the UK these days will never know.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 February 2021, 13:03,
(14 February 2021, 11:10)bigpaul Wrote: I remember 63, I was 15 years old and had just started work.
we still had an open fire at home then, it was my job to bring in the coal and logs and to clean out the ashes and lay a new fire ready to be lit, an experience most 15 years olds in the UK these days will never know.
Unless useless Doris takes us back to those days it will be an experience none of them will know. Double glazing, central heating. they laugh when I talk about coal and starting the fire in the morning.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 February 2021, 14:12,
wait until the electric goes off they wont be laughing then, especially when they cant recharge their phones.
14 February 2021, 14:17,
Do you remember each morning you would open your bedroom curtains and your breath had frozen on the glass in fern like patterns during the night ?.
14 February 2021, 14:40,
try sleeping in a caravan and waking up to icicles 1 inch from your nose inside the caravan.
14 February 2021, 14:53,
Coal....kindling....damp matches....taking out the ashes not this generation.

Bedtime....2 or 3 blankets....eiderdown (passed down from your nan and recovered by mom)....hot water bottle....or a fire brick (heated in the oven and wrapped in flannel)....pyjama trousers tucked in your socks....woolly hat....we’ve been there.