Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bug OUt Caravan
14 February 2021, 21:12,
The Bug OUt Caravan
I tend to differ from the mainstream and see bugging out as a viable option but rather than a BOB in a forest I tend to prefer an off grid caravan.
Over time I have worked out what I need and the main things are:
1. Two 7kg bottles of gas for heating and cooking.
2. 200w of solar to maintain the 12v battery with the option of a few extra panels if required.(I hope to add a second battery later)
3. Led lighting.
4. Food for one month (increased to several months for the moment)
5. Water storage with filter.
6. Tv capable of terrestrial and satellite reception and antenna for each.
7. 12v silent generator.
8. Comms for most bands.
9. Sleeping bags good for very low temperatures incase we lose heating.

So what else would you add for a few weeks/months off grid during an event.
15 February 2021, 02:49,
RE: The Bug OUt Caravan
I have spent months living in caravans, freezing my @$$ off in winter and sweltering in summer. Lived in them on the construction sites while I was building both of my houses. I had a 20' model, 32' and there is a 25' trailer in the back yard right now.

Your #1 and #9 go together because you are going to run out of propane. Two bottles will last you a week =10 days if you are heating with the propane furnace. They are highly inefficient.

#6 and #8 go together to a degree. I would not waste my time worrying about TV, all you would get is propaganda and lies anyway. Same with all those coms. You are just making noise and telling them where you are at. Massive waste of power!

#7 You don't need a 12v generator. You have one in the vehicle you used to drag the caravan out to the woods. Most rigs have a charge port to top off the batteries as you tow the caravan incorporated in the electrical plug that works the brake and tail lights. I used to keep the deep cycle 12v battery in the back of my truck and charge it as I drove to work (45 minutes one way), then plug into the caravan when I got home.

#2 and #3 also go together. One battery and the one in your vehicle will be plenty if you have all LED lighting. You will not need more than 400w of solar to keep up with lighting needs if you stay off that high draw ham radio and turn off the satellite TV.

#4 is up to you and how big the caravan happens to be. A caravan will only hold so much and I have yet to find one that is rodent/pest proof. How many tins and plastic buckets can you cram in there?

#5 is already in place. You will have a 40-50 gallon water tank in the unit. After you dispense with that and go to raw stream water you do not need to filter every drop, just what you drink. I suggest switching to a good single malt, you are going to need it.

What have you forgotten???

A piece of land to park the caravan on thereby avoiding an inevitable removal by force.

A most indispensable item for the caravan dweller. You will need a hand cart to move the sewage in your holding tanks away from the caravan to a safe place of disposal.

Along the same vein you might need a water cart to maintain a water supply from the nearest stream/spring. It can be a food grade barrel in the back of the car. Whatever works. I had a barrel and a pickup that allowed me to gravity fill my tanks.

You will also need to install a small wood stove and purchase a chainsaw, because you are going to run out of fuel before you run out of "event". The one we are in has lasted for a year.
15 February 2021, 11:03,
propane cylinders and fuel for your vehicle are finite, when there gone there gone, in a SHTF situation no more will be delivered to the retailers.
solar panels need sunlight, sunlight hitting the panels will give away your location.
I see nothing about growing your own food, hunting or foraging, your tins wont last forever.
most people I know who live in vans have wood burners, have you ever chopped and stored wood, do you know about wood "seasoning" and when is the best time to cut firewood?
sewage can be composted and used on a veg patch, so can urine, we have an unending supply of both and you wont be able to buy or find bagged compost in a SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2021, 12:48,
Good points raised and valid , you can buy a small word burning stove that will give you heat and cooking capabilities off the net or make one Joe it’s not that difficult , but that will expose your position also ( really good well seasoned firewood will help ) .....in any argument or plan Joe there’s always going to be conflicts , you play it as you see it ....but listen to well intentioned advise.......that’s why we are ALL here pal .
15 February 2021, 13:18,
PS MB ....... repost the pic of that one you have ! Top banana ! ......I will be making one in the summer got all the bits finally .
15 February 2021, 13:42,
I have lived in caravans, I spent a couple of years in a standard caravan whilst house hunting, very cold.
I also lived in a wooden caravan off grid for 12 years, that one was more enjoyable. a bit more solid and less cold.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2021, 21:03,
The wood burner is a great idea but it would be a difficult fit in a modern van. Increasing gas supply would be easier, I could in theory add a few extra 13kg bottles in the back of the pick up.
I have it parked out front and tested it through the extremely cold spell and it faired pretty well with the heating running on its 500w setting so it appears the grp body shell and insulation works pretty well.
The generator was a no brainer, I got it for buttons on Ebay because the invertor was faulty and Honda wanted £300 plus for a replacement. I didn't need the 240v option as all I needed was something to charge the batteries on dull days so I was happy with the 12v output. A gallon of petrol runs forever.
16 February 2021, 09:43,
if we are talking bug out you can forget any further supplies of gas cylinders, like anything man made they are finite.
wood burners in caravans are possible, I have known people who lived full time in vans and they all had log burners and wood will be the only renewable source of fuel post SHTF.
17 February 2021, 00:48,
Totally agree BP, the woodburner is the way to go for long term bugging out but before covid I had estimated most events would last a month or so. How times change,
17 February 2021, 09:54,
yes, a pandemic has always been top of my list, look how long this one has lasted and most people if they do prep only prep for minor events.