Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres
19 February 2021, 22:40,
Tyres
What tyres are you using at the moment ?
I use General Grabbers AT3 on the 4x4 and they are very good in the snow and they get you through mud, although I sometimes air down to under 20psi in tricky sections of snow.(be careful going lower than 10-15psi on big rims)
For the two wheel drive we have just switched to Michelin CrossClimate 2 which is a pretty interesting tyre, it's close to a winter tyre without losing anything that a summer tyre offers so you can run it all year round.
An interesting fact is a two wheel drive with proper tyres can hold it's own or even out perform a 4x4 on summer tyres.
20 February 2021, 10:44,
RE: Tyres
Standard tyres on the Landrover Freelander ( at the moment ) .
20 February 2021, 10:56,
standard tyres summer and winter, mostly mid range tyres.
dont need anything special where I live. its the tracking/wheel alignment that needs to be checked 3 or 4 times a year due to the potholes in the roads.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 February 2021, 20:43,
Does it really matter what tyres you have when taking your vehicle out of the driveway is illegal?

Joe, sometimes I don't think you have caught on yet.
20 February 2021, 21:50,
Mort it's in the vehicles section and tyre choice on your vehicle can make a massive difference to how an event will play out.
Do you prep for snow conditions ? If you do then you might be looking at an all wheel drive vehicle with a choice of tyres that will provide maximium traction on snow and ice. For example a few years back we had thousands trapped in heavy snow on one of the motorways, they had to sleep in their cars in -10degC.
The same goes for getting out of Dodge in a hurry, the roads might be gridlocked but if you can drive over a muddy field and get onto a back road then you might get clear that bit quicker.
Same applies to getting to a remote bug out location, you will get that bit further and avoid getting stuck if you researched your tyre choice before hand.
So it does depend on what you are preparing for.
21 February 2021, 10:30,
taking the car out of the drive is not illegal I dont know where you got that idea from.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2021, 00:55,
Well Joe you have not read much from the archives.

I bought my first Jeep in 1970 and there has been a jeep or 4x4 pickup in my driveway ever since, sometimes two.

The present one is what you would call a Cherokee with 4wd and locker diffs, 3.7L engine. The tires on this one are compromise all weathers because they were new on the rims when I bought the vehicle 2 years ago and they are wearing like iron. When they wear out I will get a bolder tread pattern but I am not trashing good tires. What they will not accomplish my winch will complete.

However, due to my snow preps I seldom need to get it out during bad weather, I use if for mostly recreation and hauling. I went out today for the first time in a week covered by snow. Tired of eating my own cooking.

As for bugging out to a remote bug out location, well I did that 40 years ago. I already live where you would want to bug out too. Well away from urban sprawl on a good sized lake. Single track dead end road, one way in and out. I picked this location for its survival potential. It is my second retreat, the first one being 300 miles south and now occupied by my son.

My bug out location is not a spot in a field owned by someone else where I am subject to evection. I own it, it is paid for and has been since the day I moved onto it.

Going anywhere else in my nation will result in me being ejected from that location since every square inch is privately owned or owned by Federal, State or local governments. Around here you don't just park and squat and dare the owners to run you off, they will accommodate you with great haste and dispatch and they will not trouble the court system or wait for one to be reorganized in a time of turmoil.

My area has a population density of GB after the 90% die off you guys are waiting for.

I plant, I pick, and I preserve. I hunt deer off my own back porch and dodge them constantly while driving or riding my motorbike. The place is over run with squirrels and rabbits. The coyotes often keep me awake at night. In fact I can not raise chickens due to the predators. I tried. I wound up killing more than 30 racoons and two dozen coyotes in less than a month.

There is no place better to bug out too than where I am. I made the decision long ago that in the case of zombie attack I will either triumph or die in place.

I am OK with that. After all, my life span has a time stamp. As soon as my supply of heart meds is exhausted I will meet my maker. When your time is up, it is up. It also simplifies how much food I need to preserve and store. No one lives forever and sometimes you have to face reality, which is difficult for most preppers.

BP, if you can go where you want why don't you pick a likely spot over in Wales, hop in your vehicle and head there and see how that works for you. We have had families of people here on the forum fined for being on the roads without good cause.
22 February 2021, 11:00,
Wales used to be a good place, some years ago there were plenty of places that would have been suitable but most have been picked up by the second home crowd now, having said that I think Planning Laws in Wales arent as rigid as in England.
as for bugging out, I bugged out of a city 21 years ago and now live in a remote rural location.
yes people get fined during lock down for being somewhere without good cause, like the people who travelled from London to Cornwall just to "see the view", or to go surfing, or the bird watchers who came hundreds of miles to see a rare bird, like they said in the last war " is your journey really necessary?". there are some real idiots out there.
22 February 2021, 22:49,
I had onsa 265/75x16 on the truck.very noisy but never got stuck,just swopped vehicles,of course not swopped tyres yet and sunk.wouldnt move in 4x4 had to be towed out
22 February 2021, 22:50,
Amen MB ! Many loose sight of reality .....age is a sly bastard, often hiding in the shadows only waiting to step out when you least expect it ,to snuff you out in a blink of a eye ! .....that’s the deal for all of us ! When it’s your time it’s your turn simple as . A good friend of mine who served in the Falklands explained to me one night ( both pissed on a good single malt ) how precious yet how random life is and the feeling of elation of “making it “ and looking around for his mates ,but just him left but with just one leg....” I even tried walking out “ laughing his head off ....come on pal let’s finish the bastard ( bottle ) and be happy hey.