Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you Prepping for.
18 June 2021, 22:56,
RE: What are you Prepping for.
The problem (I feel) is that those that DO get (head) to where we live are the ones savvy enough to know and understand where the resources are to be found and that if they're capable of actually GETTING there they'll resort to whatever means they feel are necessary to take them. Those are the 'dangerous' ones.

The odd stranger that rolls up in the area by chance is not of real concern.
19 June 2021, 07:32,
Yep KE I totally agree with that assessment , and will be the reality ....I just can not see any other logical scenario
19 June 2021, 07:39,
(18 June 2021, 22:56)kellys_eye Wrote: The problem (I feel) is that those that DO get (head) to where we live are the ones savvy enough to know and understand where the resources are to be found and that if they're capable of actually GETTING there they'll resort to whatever means they feel are necessary to take them. Those are the 'dangerous' ones.

The odd stranger that rolls up in the area by chance is not of real concern.

those types will be very few in number and with modern attitudes probably wont even exist.
I just cannot see anyone heading in my direction, not from any big city anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2021, 09:11,
Covid has been a useful indicator to me and my neighbours.

Modern cars are highly fuel efficient and have a range of around 500 miles on average, so there are few locations that are truly out of reach.

We had a big influx of people from cities late spring 2020. Other than infection, they brought little with them. Once here they turned to the small permanent population for help, while at the same time splashing cash at local supermarkets creating shortages of staples like Rice Pasta and Flour, which they'd failed to bring with them.

A large number gave up on the idea of the idyllic country life quite quickly due to complaints about uncomfortable accommodation (no central heating and lack of electronic entertainment). But they'd still gotten here and settled in. If it'd been a true catastrophe they'd have stuck it out and become a serious problem to those permanent residents who are properly prepared.

MB's advice to me when I first set up was to pay big attention to security. Recent events have proven him right ( again ;-))
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 June 2021, 09:30,
Covid may have been a good indicator of some peoples actions in an emergency, panic buying of toilet rolls!! but its hardly an indicator of a major SHTF event, for a start filling stations will be empty within 24 hours, most people drive on empty in the UK only filling up when the warning light comes on. we've all seen the pictures of long lines of vehicles at filling stations, tempers will rise, not a good place to be.
even with fuel it takes many hours driving to get from the capital to any rural area, and with filling stations empty many will never reach their destination, even if that had one in mind.
the British do not naturally evacuate and it wont be the first thing that comes to mind for them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2021, 20:05,
Paul your ideas about what the British people do are gleaned from unknown sources. God only knows where you come up with some of this stuff.

Evacuation is in the nature of the British, they will evacuate anywhere any time if there is a place where the bad things they are experiencing are not happening or they see fortune or survival awaiting.

It is an unhandy concept for a prepper but it is reality and ignoring it does not make it go away.

The first, the very first, thing that was done after WW2 began was the evacuation of women and children to the countryside with forced quartering of them placed on the resident population. That was even before the blitz was in full swing.

All through history there is a steady stream of people going from the city to the country to escape disease and a stream of people going from the country to the city, or from city to city, to find work.

That is not to mention the displacements and enclosures of agricurial workers that put thousands on the road homeless and the closures of mines and industries that forced migration. Back before benefits if you didn't leave you starved. One reason why there are more Irish in America than in Ireland.

You even had laborers that were a transient population of thousands that built your canal systems and railroads.

About 1/3 of the US population and most of Canada claims British heritage. Every one of their ancestors was an evacuee.

And you also have the 1/3 of of your population in most of the major cities that was born God knows where in the universe and came to GB for a better life. They are evacuees, and they are now part of YOUR population, they are British. They are not going to sit anywhere and patiently starve, while waiting for Borris to send the sandwich truck.

And we have not mentioned the immigration of hundreds of thousands of British subjects to North America, the West Indies, India, Australia, New Zealand, Egypt and South Africa, Kenya and Rhodesia as well as China, Burma and other oriental areas.

The British adapted to the American frontier, the Canadian wilderness, the Australian outback and the New Zealand forests and climate, food and cultural variations around the world, and they will adapt to the frontier of backwoods Devon and the Welsh hills if that need arises.
26 June 2021, 20:22,
Well if more turn up here in South Wales we are gonna eat you ....after all leave the rats alone ! .....just finished a nice steak done on the barbecue , onions , mushrooms and chips done in the dinger....wild child is taking it easy this week ....and why not ! .
27 June 2021, 08:49,
Evacuation does not come naturally to the British, granted Children and some mothers were evacuated in WW2 but that was mostly from London and they only stayed away a few months at most.
in my home city of Plymouth nobody evacuated, maybe Devon people are made of sterner stuff, anyone in the Northern part of the city walked out and spent the night sleeping on the moors and walked back in the morning when the all clear sounded (I have that from my first wife's late father who worked in the dockyard).
as for ALL these immigrants, immigrants are a very low percentage of the population of a whole and they settle in areas which already have a community of migrants, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Bolton etc. once settled they arent leaving, and the different ethnic types dont mix, there are more migrants stuck in places like Lesbos, Italy and France than ever get to the UK.
I dont say that anyone near a big city wont have a problem with scavengers post SHTF because they will, but scavengers roaming the land like some type of human locusts is just fantasy and only that.
nobody but nobody will go anywhere until and unless the lights go off, that will be some time down the time line of events and it will be the final straw and far too late for most people to do anything.
27 June 2021, 11:23,
I think your theory is right but you have one thing wrong imo. The lights will go out very quickly. The films that show key workers turning up to keep the lights on and the emergency services running won't happen. Sure there will be a few doctors in place but they will quickly be overwhelmed and their medicines and equipment stolen.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 June 2021, 11:43,
depends how quickly whatever the event or events affects the workers, either in the power industry or health service, doctors and nurses in A&E are on the front line and will get overwhelmed fairly quickly, the pandemic has shown us that.