Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barter items
20 May 2021, 08:39,
RE: Barter items
barter or trade post SHTF will not be safe for a long time, not just months but years.
I plan to live a safe but basic life without having to rely on others for anything, I dont trust people I dont know and only a few I do.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 May 2021, 22:26,
SS when I read and re-read your list of barter goodies, irrespective of the pros or cons of bartering, I note that many of the items have a shelf life and others go stale or loose their edge with age.

Some of the other items can be replaced by commonly available alternatives.

As a long time prepper I am now on my second round of 30 year shelf life foods. I can not consume canned foods fast enough to keep up with a rotation schedule, so much of it goes out of date big time! I can attest that 3 year out of date tuna will not kill you, neither will six year out of date beans.

I changed from a canned food prepper to a frozen food prepper during this pandemic. If the power goes out long term I will simply can food as the freezer thaws.

I quit smoking 20 years ago but I still remember the irritation of opening a pack of cigs and discovering they were stale. Tobacco does not last forever and it is not easily grown in the UK. Your climate is simply not suitable for any amount of production. You have always imported your tobaccos, from the US, Rhodesia, India or Egypt.

Many youngsters are not old enough to remember what we did before they made 2-stroke oil! We mixed petrol with the recommended amount of standard 30wt motor oil! It worked in chain saws, outboard engines and motorbikes. I even have an old Evinrude outboard that has the mix ratios embossed in the engine cover.

Chainsaw bar oil was unknown and we used old motor oil saved when we changed oil in the vehicles. I still do.

One thing learned through the recent shortages is that people are more resilient than we anticipated. They think, they do reason things out, and they find substitutes and alternatives very rapidly.

What would/do I keep for barter in those situations where I need work done or some product or service? I keep coffee and tea in large amounts. Also salt and spices.

I keep hand tools, not as much for their barter potential as they would be "rented out" by the job. If you need a special spanner or a ring compressor, or a jack plane, or you need to use my lathe or drill press, bring me a couple of eggs, a bird, squirrel or rabbit you trapped. Bring the spanner back when you finish.

He!! the folks on my road do this already! Only with us it is more on the order of "thanks for letting me use your lathe if you need anything welded up or fabricated bring it down."

No weapons or ammo get traded, not to anyone. That is just plain suicide.

I will trade stuff for lead, Sulphur, nitrate based stump remover, and good quality willow base charcoal. Same for old iron pipe, it has its uses.

There are two items I will always consider good for an emergency barter; alcohol and open pollinated seeds.

Alcohol is the ultimate multi-use survival item. Disinfectant, antiseptic, anesthetic, fuel for powering motors/heating/cooking, recreational uses. It always has and always will have high value in a low tech world. In many 3rd world areas it is the only home industry that consistently provides income.

Over here in the states there are wide swaths of land that were forcibly purchased, cleared and flooded under the guise of creating hydro electric power or aquatic recreational space when the real reason was to flush out the industrial level moonshiners that were paying no taxes on their product.

The seeds just speak for themselves, but people fail to realize how much seed, and land, it takes to get enough wheat, barley or rye to grow sustenance amounts of grain. It takes 10 pounds of seed maize to grow an acre. How many people really have that amount? That is a lot of those little mail order seed packets!

Maize has always been a survival crop. Combine it with beans of various sorts, squash and potatoes, which are also novice friendly crops and one might get by after all those canned goods and MRE meals are used up.

I have been in my present place for more than a decade. I know my neighbors, they know me. I have watched to old ones die and the young ones grow up and leave, then come back with families of their own, build a house and settle in. Their kids are going to the same school they went too, with the same teachers. I am not afraid of these people. Cautious, but not fearful, and I would speak up to insure their welfare and keep them from making a bad decision.

We have enough land to survive on. We also have "open land" not being farmed or grazed and only used for growing hay. These people also have not lost the technology of "small scale farming", canning and preserving. We own small to medium tractors, tillers and what we need to grow a crop of corn, potatoes, beans, turnips and greens.

I think I am saying that I live in a village. A village by the old definition. A place where people dwell together long term, not a place urbanites go to when they retire while still maintaining their urban suspicions, close the doors and shades, and hide from the weirdos.

Some of my weirdos know how to make stuff, grow stuff and do stuff. There's a couple of them worth keeping alive.
21 May 2021, 17:03,
Good post MB lots in there to take away, with regards to my list.......yes it is incomplete and looks what it is slung together ! In a attempt to see what other members are considering as a barter item ( if any ) obviously some will NOT barter anything at all .....and that’s fair enough by me Although seems a bit extreme but I am not judging anyone ! As Charles pointed out the practicality of certain needs he has and willing to trade or barter albeit after a strict vetting and getting to know someone first and even then keeping a close eye on them at arms length and never full trust .

There are some around where we live and a few on the opposite mountain that are trustworthy to a point and we do help one another out and have done so for years which may cost some time but never no money as Mary pointed out in her post ... that was common place back when I was a lad for the simple reason nobody had money then or at best very little ........those days will be coming back and soon .
22 May 2021, 08:18,
people change and not necessarily for the better, when I was a kid I would trust any adult but these days I know better, by bitter personal experience.
as far as SHTF goes, my only DUTY is to see that me and mine survive, no one else, if they cant be bothered to put back stuff "for a rainy day" but instead spend their cash on instant gratification, the latest mobile phones and foreign holidays, then so be it, self reliance will be the key, if they cant do that then they will perish, I dont intend to get involved in their problems.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 May 2021, 09:31,
Thing is BP , people of our age can see the changes that have taken place....over a lifetime , with regards the later day self gratifications , that is just the modern way of living , a far cry from our younger days .....attitudes and no respect for others and only self interest is not so far away from ours when you consider ( what’s mine is mine ) and looking after oneself .....we are not so different after all ! The sheeple are to blind to see what we see and determine no need to put by anything at all , it means nothing to them plain and simple ! But they bloody well will when it all kicks off ......that is when it all gets interesting and very dangerous for ALL .
22 May 2021, 09:53,
when it kicks off the sheeple will be dead within 4 weeks without clean water and food, most of the infrastructure will shut down with a few days of SHTF and deliveries of anything will grind to a halt.
I think it will surprise even us how quickly modern life will collapse.
there wont be anyone to barter with after this time and during this time it wont be safe.
any survivors there are will be well spread out over the whole country and without fuel and other vehicle bits they wont be going far.
this is where self reliance will come into play, prepare or die.
22 May 2021, 10:05,
I do not agree with your timescale BP ......I think even sheeple will be more resilient than you give credit for but I do agree with your concept of what will take place .......everyone will become a survivalist on some scale even if they no nothing and have no skill sets at all .......it’s human nature to survive with less human means at any cost usually at another humans expense it’s just the way it is .
22 May 2021, 10:16,
I'm not the only one who thinks it will collapse fast, once the fuel stops being refined and the power grid goes down that will be it for the vast majority of the population.
the masses do not store food to any great extent, most go shopping 2 or 3 times a day, I've know people who even shop daily.
freezer food will rot in a few days without power and without power most will have no heating, no lighting and no cooking and if its winter most will freeze to death even in mild Britain.
sure there will be looting and rioting but without deliveries any food stocks are finite and once its gone its gone.
22 May 2021, 10:18,
#sorry should read "2 or 3 times a WEEK" not day.
22 May 2021, 10:55,
I just cannot see the majority of unprepared people giving up and giving in without a fight Paul , in that timescale..although your argument is strong which I am not disagreeing with , all I am saying is I think it will take longer .......that’s all .........which makes those times extremely dangerous for us as preppers and everyone else ,desperate people do desperate things ......why......to survive just like us by any means that’s a strong motivation for the likes of us to contend with or anyone else come to it .