Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future plans
25 May 2021, 15:12,
Future plans
Expectation vs reality.
Reference: I live in a small village, south UK, very little community spirit.

Recently I had a chat with a guy who doesn't fully trust the Govt. I asked what he'd do if things unravelled. He said he would take off into the woods. I asked if he would form/join a group, which he said he would not. I asked if he would go with other chaps - no. Women/woman and child(ren) - no, they slow you down. After he'd drunk a bottle of my better wine he cried and said 'sometimes all I want is a hug.' I don't think hugs grow on trees in the UK - climate, perhaps?

Are there any folks on this forum who would be prepared to form bugout teams?
Are there any folks here who would consider housing like-minded folks from the city who are too poor to escape the zombie-ville?
Is there anyone who would take up the job of coordinating this or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Are there skill-share groups for hands on practice?

I tried setting up 2 mutual assistance groups - one local and one county wide ... zero uptake. I know the Brits are famed for letting it get close to the wire but dang! Everyone is sleepy near me. I drop little crumbs - stuff I researched- and get blank blinkies.

Remember when it first kicked off in 2020? The socially distanced campers in the butt-end of nowhere who were busted by drone and shamed on social media? Do you think that is going to stop? Infra-red imaging is small and light and a drone could easily be equipped with it. The guy I spoke with, will he have to sleep eventually? Will he hear the drone? I don't know. A friend (or 2) keeping watch seems a better option, no?
Also there were fires near me. Allegedly from wild campers barbequing. I don't know any true survivalists who are stupid enough to burn the forest down. Drunk @$$holies bbqing - sure. I noted well WHERE the blame was PUT, mind.

How many calories will one person burn when collecting water, fire materials, building shelter, hunting and foraging? How many will they consume when eating weeds and roots? Imagine if you could share the tasks. Would you?

Last of all, why bother surviving alone? You will die eventually and then what? What did it achieve? Why would an upcoming, tiny community trust a lone wolf? Many of them have trust issues (don't we all?) and don't play well with others and prefer to be alone. That is fine. But what if it gets really hard or you are hurt or sick? What then? Wouldn't it be better to get past that stuff now, while things are still relatively simple, and build a strong, multi-skilled team who have the same goal - survival?
I would truly appreciate your thoughts and input. My best wishes to you all for now.
25 May 2021, 18:17,
RE: Future plans
Lots in there Ajax .......one major stumbling block for most if not all survivalists / preppers is TRUST and investing it in strangers , even on a forum just like this .....it’s talk n type and maybe the odd picture , sometimes you can become close to members whom have a similar view or outlook that’s close to yours .....then the dreaded prepper trait kicks in ......hold on this might be to close ....let’s back off some .......after all all you really know about any member is what they have written and what you have read .......we are loners mostly and we practice and learn the skills to prevail ( and without the help of anyone as much as possible ) it’s just the way it is .....it’s not wrong in fact it’s healthy , over time we all make judgments about other members , you can’ t help it ...that’s a human trait one of the problems these days is you can see bullshit flying from left to right and falsehoods spoken to you right in your face , so no wonder then.....you should be on guard when tshtf double up.....group survival is a great ideal and makes good sense .....but needs a strong leader.....without that it will all fall apart and quickly .....history will attest to that ,all it takes is one not pulling equal weight ....then it’s over .
26 May 2021, 13:37,
" if you dont know them, havent worked with them or spent time with them then DONT trust them".
I would prefer to be alone than with people I dont trust.
as for not surviving alone, that depends on the person, we dont all NEED to have people around us.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2021, 12:39,
I've been involved in a few groups but mainly setting up local groups. Remote groups won't work. Find some local people and build up relationships with them.

The problem across the world atm is that most people are stupid and I mean that exactly as it sounds. The may have degrees and be in good jobs but they have no common sense. That is why our path is inevitable. We will degrade until the ordinary people wake up. It's going to take a while.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 May 2021, 12:51,
Common sense isnt common any more, most people have modern attitudes and are more in tune with their mobile phones and gaming than preparing for an event they think will never happen.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 May 2021, 16:07,
(25 May 2021, 18:17)Straight Shooter Wrote: Lots in there Ajax .......one major stumbling block for most if not all survivalists / preppers is TRUST and investing it in strangers , even on a forum just like this .....it’s talk n type and maybe the odd picture , sometimes you can become close to members whom have a similar view or outlook that’s close to yours .....then the dreaded prepper trait kicks in ......hold on this might be to close ....let’s back off some .......after all all you really know about any member is what they have written and what you have read .......we are loners mostly and we practice and learn the skills to prevail ( and without the help of anyone as much as possible ) it’s just the way it is .....it’s not wrong in fact it’s healthy , over time we all make judgments about other members , you can’ t help it ...that’s a human trait one of the problems these days is you can see bullshit flying from left to right and falsehoods spoken to you right in your face , so no wonder then.....you should be on guard when tshtf double up.....group survival is a great ideal and makes good sense .....but needs a strong leader.....without that it will all fall apart and quickly .....history will attest to that ,all it takes is one not pulling equal weight ....then it’s over .
29 May 2021, 16:16,
[quote='Ajax' pid='106082' dateline='1622300820']
[quote='Straight Shooter' pid='106026' dateline='1621963071']
Lots in there Ajax .......one major stumbling block for most if not all survivalists / preppers is TRUST and investing it in strangers , even on a forum just like this .....it’s talk n type and maybe the odd picture , sometimes you can become close to members whom have a similar view or outlook that’s close to yours .....then the dreaded prepper trait kicks in ......hold on this might be to close ....let’s back off some .......after all all you really know about any member is what they have written and what you have read .......we are loners mostly and we practice and learn the skills to prevail ( and without the help of anyone as much as possible ) it’s just the way it is .....it’s not wrong in fact it’s healthy , over time we all make judgments about other members , you can’ t help it ...that’s a human trait one of the problems these days is you can see bullshit flying from left to right and falsehoods spoken to you right in your face , so no wonder then.....you should be on guard when tshtf double up.....group survival is a great ideal and makes good sense .....but needs a strong leader.....without that it will all fall apart and quickly .....history will attest to that ,all it takes is one not pulling equal weight ....then it’s over .

100% agree mate. Trust is something I find very hard. I know my lack of trusting will probably be the end of me too. I would be very interested in hearing of the 'dreaded prepper traits' if you should be happy to oblige me? The best leaders are the ones who don't want to lead but are required because of a calm, logical demeanour. I've met a lot of c0ckw@ggers who fold at the first sniff of a problem.
29 May 2021, 16:25,
(29 May 2021, 12:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've been involved in a few groups but mainly setting up local groups. Remote groups won't work. Find some local people and build up relationships with them.

The problem across the world atm is that most people are stupid and I mean that exactly as it sounds. The may have degrees and be in good jobs but they have no common sense. That is why our path is inevitable. We will degrade until the ordinary people wake up. It's going to take a while.

I have tried to do the same locally, mate. I love your tag, btw. My stock were Highlanders; I'm Sassenach by accident of migration. lol
I have spoken, reached out, and even set up sites but the folks near me are either asleep or brain-dead - jury is out.
I am ready for the eventual but it could get ugly before then, especially if the cities empty.
I guess it is a case of: walk softly. carry a big stick and be ever vigilant.
Sheesh, we're gonna be lucky if we have a handful left at the end of all this. That said how many can reboot a society using ancient skills? Dang! =D
29 May 2021, 16:29,
(29 May 2021, 12:51)bigpaul Wrote: Common sense isnt common any more, most people have modern attitudes and are more in tune with their mobile phones and gaming than preparing for an event they think will never happen.

I cannot fault this observation. If 'survival' was about pushing buttons then a few might make it. If survival means getting off a bum-bum and doing stuff (and it does) then they are pooched. Modern day education feels more like indoctrination and common sense is almost extinct - I wonder if it is on an endangered list somewhere or if folks are swilling champers and toasting its demise?
29 May 2021, 16:31,
(29 May 2021, 16:07)Ajax Wrote:
(25 May 2021, 18:17)Straight Shooter Wrote: Lots in there Ajax .......one major stumbling block for most if not all survivalists / preppers is TRUST and investing it in strangers , even on a forum just like this .....it’s talk n type and maybe the odd picture , sometimes you can become close to members whom have a similar view or outlook that’s close to yours .....then the dreaded prepper trait kicks in ......hold on this might be to close ....let’s back off some .......after all all you really know about any member is what they have written and what you have read .......we are loners mostly and we practice and learn the skills to prevail ( and without the help of anyone as much as possible ) it’s just the way it is .....it’s not wrong in fact it’s healthy , over time we all make judgments about other members , you can’ t help it ...that’s a human trait one of the problems these days is you can see bullshit flying from left to right and falsehoods spoken to you right in your face , so no wonder then.....you should be on guard when tshtf double up.....group survival is a great ideal and makes good sense .....but needs a strong leader.....without that it will all fall apart and quickly .....history will attest to that ,all it takes is one not pulling equal weight ....then it’s over .
Mods please remove this one. I had an attack of rampant bum-head and thunder-thumb and quoted without a comment. See, tech hates me almost as much as I hate it! Wink Sorry. x