Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T'internet
15 June 2021, 18:52,
T'internet
Yup, the good old internet.

Don't know about you but I've been hearing that there's a threat to the internet in the form of a manufactured crisis that will require the internet to be 'closed down'.

I suspect this will also require everyone to download a vaccine (anti-virus) before getting access again and that this will result in auto-blocking of various sites seen to a threat to public safety... yeah, right!

So, in the event of an internet close down what can be done? Does anyone remember the old Bulletin Boards? Does anyone still have the old style modem (POST - Plain Old Telephone System)? Would access to the Internet help in a SHTF situation or even as a form of communication etc?

What are YOUR plans in the event of zero internet access?

One plan I have (had) in mind was to use a site-ripper program to download some of the more useful websites to hard disk. Many sites are only a few 100 Mb in size but contain a wealth of information that, if copied to a local HDD would make a pretty good reference.

Of course I've already got an extensive library of real books (plus 100's Gb's of downloaded books and magazines) so the internet isn't that essential - to me anyway - but maybe consolidating such data via site rippers is a good idea?

What sites would you have on your list if you decided to rip them?

Thoughts?
16 June 2021, 00:34,
RE: T'internet
You mean that we are going to do Y2K all over again?

By the way, how did that work out the first time?
16 June 2021, 09:56,
the internet is not the be all and end all, although many cant live without it, I had a life before the internet and I will have a life after it is no more, I was a late starter on computers anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 June 2021, 21:58,
Welcom to the site. Lots on the main site and there is a files section there too. Lots of stuff there and I've ripped a few sites as well.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin