Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infrastucture - Covid
22 July 2021, 16:20,
Infrastucture - Covid
Afternoon all - Yup Im still alive.

Noticing a few things today. IIRC when we used to discuss Flu Pandemic we considered that the supermarkets might be empty because lorry drivers sick or not going in to work. 72 hours till the pond life start rioting.

So todays warnings:

1. Supermarket shelves beginning to empty

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho...88050.html

2. Problems with Petrol - BP First on Block

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57912922

3. Trains cancelled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55363638

I dont know but ... heads up
22 July 2021, 20:02,
RE: Infrastucture - Covid
I noticed the newspapers have been trying to hype this all week and in fairness I have noticed a few small issues. There’s been a few items missing in our online shopping but nothing major. I’ve increased orders to compensate but to be perfectly honest I’ve not been in a shop since Covid started so it’s very difficult to substantiate the media claims.
I just dumped 80kg of flour as it was a year old so might need to order some extra flour if things start to creak.
Worth mentioning my breadmaker was my greatest asset during the last peak so I might be back to baking bread again.
22 July 2021, 20:45,
If you buy flour in its original paper bag and do not repackage it you should use it within 3 months.

If you immediately move it into an air-tight container, it can last 6 – 10 months.

For long-term storage, the best method is Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Vacuum sealed flour in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, protected in 5-gallon plastic buckets, flour lasts at least 2 years but up to 5 years in a shelf-stable environment that is dry and cool. OA packets placed into food-grade plastic containers absorb oxygen in the container and prevent spoilage from oxygenation and prevents insect eggs from hatching hatch.

This is the method required by the US armed forces is the ONLY method truly reliable for long-term flour storage.

Humidity or temperature fluctuations can cause flour to absorb moisture and eventually start to get moldy. You’ll be able to smell mold before you can actually see it.

Oxidation occurs when oxygen from the air interacts with nutrients in the flour, causing them to break down. This is particularly a problem with whole-grain flours. Oxidation will cause the natural oils in the whole-grains to go rancid.

Even if you store your flour in air-tight containers, you can still get insects like weevils or moths beause flour often already has insect eggs in it when you buy it. It can take weeks or months for them to hatch depending upon the conditions.

Freezing for 96 hours is effective to kill insects and may be used for long term storage up to 5 years, but you must have a plan in case power outages occur. To use, remove flour from the freezer and let it gradually rise to room temperature. To prevent condensation, keep the flour in its sealed container – so that any condensation collect on the container instead of getting into the flour.

If you have room in your freezer, freezing flour is a great way to store it. It will last forever in the freezer, though you should have a plan in case power outages occur.

To use, remove flour from the freezer and let it get to room temperature. Note that flour can absorb moisture due to condensation while you bring it to room temperature. To prevent moist flour, keep the flour in its sealed container – the condensation will collect on the container instead of getting into the flour. If flour gets damp, spread it out on a baking sheet and heat it the oven to about 90-95 degs. C for an hour. After drying, sift to remove any clumps and repackage.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
22 July 2021, 20:46,
No problems around here...yet! Mind I keep an old fashioned larder and storeroom and two large freezers. So far, since the start of lockdown last year, I haven't had any difficulties.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
23 July 2021, 08:50,
no cartons of juice, no yoghurt, no quiche on the shelves in the supermarkets here but that could just be because of the exceptional hot weather we are experiencing at the moment.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 July 2021, 14:28,
I am hearing of lots of supply issues and in a wide range of industries , not just food .....late deliveries are becoming the normal and lead times are going up big time.....some people I know from past dealings with are very very worried to the point of failing very shortly , that’s how bad this is one said ....and I am talking of well run companies here.....we never seem to hear about this from the MM it’s as if they bury bad news not to let off any alarm ...and only mention ( empty shelves ) as a temporary clitch and nothing for us to worry about ! And “ no need to panic buy anything “ ? ......and we are supposed to believe this nonsense they spout out , NO I don’t think so ....they will have us as dull and stupid as they most certainly are ........more baked beans anyone ! .
25 July 2021, 18:05,
Plague protests of tens of thousands in Rome and Paris, bloody anti-restriction riots with numerous injuries and arrests in Sidney, Pingdemic in England choking transport, supply and public services.

Not a single mention of any of it on US news sources.
26 July 2021, 08:38,
(25 July 2021, 18:05)Mortblanc Wrote: Plague protests of tens of thousands in Rome and Paris, bloody anti-restriction riots with numerous injuries and arrests in Sidney, Pingdemic in England choking transport, supply and public services.

Not a single mention of any of it on US news sources.

Sheeple, just Sheeple.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 July 2021, 21:37,
Not seen any visible shortages myself, at least not as yet, but I'm doing the Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers thing now, so maybe I can now actually call myself a real prepper...
30 July 2021, 21:33,
It has finally happened. The military has been called out to enforce covid restrictions in a first world democracy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58021718