Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Cooking
5 December 2021, 23:11,
Outdoor Cooking
When was the last time you prepared a meal outdoors?

I am not talking about on the grill or BBQ, I am talking about going outside, gathering a few twigs, building a fire and preparing an entire meal over what was once called a "campfire".

No, heating baked beans is not meal prep!

I was discussing various methods on another forum that does not normally touch on survival topics and the need to cook outdoors after a weather disaster came up. In that company I discovered that most did not know how to lay a fire, much less cook on one. Some did not even know you could cook over a fire! Some others thought it was illegal!

For millions of years man cooked over open flames, right up to the mid 1800s 100% of the cooking was done on the hearth. Now one can be born, grow up, live and die and never lay sticks on the ground and sit them alight.

We discuss politics and New World Order crap and how the sheeple are clueless and be well prepped and all, but I am finding now that I can not do some of the tasks I once considered retinue, due to physical limitations.

While it might be said that it is like riding a bike, in some instances it is a "use it or loose it" skill set.

Some of those activities have been part of my prep plan and I now have to revise and change the way I make those plans.

Cooking on an open fire is not my first choice of food prep, it is not even second, but it might wind up being the default method, and while it was once something I did every weekend, all weekend long, it has been some time since I did and tonight I discovered that my knees suddenly protest at the up and down thing and bending over the fire is an irritation to my back that I could once tolerate but now can not.

I have a thing called a brazier, but I am now going to need to put some legs on it. I may also have to build myself an off the ground fire box for large prep meals.

Getting old sucks!

Messages In This Thread
Outdoor Cooking - by Mortblanc - 5 December 2021, 23:11
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by bigpaul - 6 December 2021, 09:47
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by bigpaul - 6 December 2021, 09:49
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by Straight Shooter - 6 December 2021, 10:38
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by Mortblanc - 7 December 2021, 00:51
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by bigpaul - 7 December 2021, 10:41
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by Straight Shooter - 7 December 2021, 11:55
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by bigpaul - 7 December 2021, 12:15
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by Pete Grey - 7 December 2021, 20:00
RE: Outdoor Cooking - by CharlesHarris - 8 December 2021, 00:39