Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Then and now - USA dudes.
18 March 2022, 19:15,
Then and now - USA dudes.
We got a couple of cousins here from across the pond, right?

Can you guys in the USA remember in the 90's (Iraq conflict) when gas prices went up to 2 bucks a gallon? Did you guys have a pay before you pump policy in some states - Cali, for instance?

I just found an old 90's pirate radio show that mentions it and wondered if any of you remember these times a bit better than me?

Anyway, all the best, guys.
19 March 2022, 16:31,
RE: Then and now - USA dudes.
30 years ago? I'd rather forget those times, it was when my second wife dumped me and I had to start all over again.
better to look forwards than back.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 March 2022, 03:19,
(19 March 2022, 16:31)bigpaul Wrote: 30 years ago? I'd rather forget those times, it was when my second wife dumped me and I had to start all over again.
better to look forwards than back.

Yea, but those that do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it, right?

Over here "self service" and pay before you pump have been standard since the 1973 OPEC rape for helping the Israelis in the Yom Keiper War. It was not something that came in during the First Iraq War in the '90s.

In 1973 petrol prices doubled from $0.25 per gallon to $0.50 a gallon. I actually bought a bicycle and started pedaling to work.

Prices went up again during the Carter presidency ('76-'80) to $1 a gallon and stabilized there increasing to around $1.25 gallon at the turn of 2000.

Doubled on 911 after the attack and stayed there until Obama took the presidency and they went to $4. Huge tax increases on petrol caused that, not supply and demand.

Dropped back to less than $2 a gallon during Trumph presidency.

Back up to $4 now due to Sniffy Joe's "green team" trying to force changeover to electric. You do not need travel restrictions when all your vehicles have a 40 mile range and an 8 hour recharge time.

Remember hat our gallons are 4 quarts, and out quarts are smaller than yours. 20 liters = 6+ US gallons.
20 March 2022, 10:03,
Let’s cut to the present day ......MB & CH .....been checking out some US prepper vlogs ....telling of many top stores being out of stock of foods of all types and prices doubling ....empty shelves are common place ...they even supply pictures and videos ........is it that bad in the US ? ......if indeed it is true , it will not take long to reach here in the U.K......it’s already started ....fact is it’s worldwide ....but America .....that’s big ! .
20 March 2022, 11:11,
you all do realise this is Survival UK.net right?
it was set up to have a British bias, a UK point of view, there are plenty of US survival forums out there, I know cos I look after just such a site.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 March 2022, 14:15,
Yes I certainly do BP ! .....it was only a few years ago you were quoting a guy from Bosnia on his survival ! So what’s the difference ? Survival is survival no matter what part of the globe you live.....the reason I ask the question of MB and CH is what they have to say would be honest and they are members here after all ,it’s that simple .....what’s the problem with that ? .....FM
20 March 2022, 14:20,
because there will be differences between what happens in the US and what happens here, some of them will be large differences and some will be small, I dont know about you but I joined this site because it IS a UK site and there arent that many even now.
20 March 2022, 14:46,
BP, The site is a UK site and everything is bias towards the UK however there are many things relevant to both areas and I have picked up a lot over the years from our US members.

If you feel that strongly I'd suggest that you just ignore the posts you are not interested in. You don't need to comment on everything especially if the comment doesn't add anything to the conversation such as 'I don't have one of those' or 'This is a UK site'. Just skip past and ignore that thread. There will be another along soon.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 March 2022, 14:56,
I never said there werent things that were relevant to both countries, survivalism is universal but there are differences to how we will do things.
I'm also NOT saying American members arent welcome because they are.
20 March 2022, 17:40,
(20 March 2022, 10:03)Straight Shooter Wrote: Let’s cut to the present day ......MB & CH .....been checking out some US prepper vlogs ....telling of many top stores being out of stock of foods of all types and prices doubling ....empty shelves are common place ...they even supply pictures and videos ........is it that bad in the US ? ......if indeed it is true , it will not take long to reach here in the U.K......it’s already started ....fact is it’s worldwide ....but America .....that’s big ! .

SS, those vlog sites are highly exaggerated! It sounds like a purposeful spread of needless panic and actual promotion of panic buying.

Vlogs and blogs by any prepper are not valid sources on which to base a philosophy or course of action.

Sorry to say that but prepper opinions and intelligence vary widely, as we all know. Chances are their photos/videos are staged.

Half the "survival" vlogs and You-tube sites are now the fronts for people with a side hustle trying to generate demand for their products or services so they can quit their day jobs. It is not like a few years back when forums ruled the communities and exchange of information was the goal.

I can find empty shelves if I try. There are several stores near me that are remodeling and have expanses of shelf empty. There is also the old footage from the Covid experience still available. Film does not care how old it is or when you use it.

There is some inflation, but prices are not doubling on most items. 10% is about the standard rate of increase on most food items and there is plenty of stock on the shelves at this point in time. We actually expected some inflation increase with the end of Covid, so 10% is not a shock.

Even though I live in a rural area I have two "superstores" within 7 miles of my house; a Kroger and a Walmart, (150,000sq.ft-200,000sq/ft). Those are two of our big box stores and typical places where you can go in one door, buy groceries, get a new wardrobe, have cancer surgery and get new tires put on your car. They are going strong and while the exact item and brand you seek may be gone today it will be back tomorrow or there is an identical replacement on the next shelf.

During the first Covid lockdown it got rough and they had large swaths of shelf empty, mostly paper goods and cleaning supplies, but that was two years ago and all the bog roll and ground beef has been restored.

What we are having is sudden emptying of some shelves during some event such as a snow storm or tornado and the replacement of that inventory within a week or two. That is just the norm for "just in time" computer inventory control.

Petrol has doubled in price, but that is purely political and artificial and everyone knows it.

People are also coming to realize that when someone speaks of "supply chain issues" they are really talking about items that our restrictions on China have stopped the import of. Shipping is a convenient scapegoat. It is not a "supply chain issue" if government restrictions are the reason for the failure to deliver. Shipping on other items is again fast and furious with items that are in stock arriving within 2-5 days on standard carriers.

Inflation is present but not on the scale I witnessed during the Jimmy Carter presidency (1976-1980) when I lost half my buying power in 4 years and mortgage rates went to %20+.

There is no doom and gloom attitude from the public and they are going about their business. There are more than a dozen homes under new construction within a couple of miles of my house, so confidence and expectations are high. We have not seen that level of activity since 2008 when Obama took over.

The population is not hiding in their basement waiting for WW3 to commence. Neither are they excessively concerned over the war in the Ukraine. Most consider it SOP for the Russians. It's just what Russians do. Even the most "Hawkish" do not feel we need to directly intervene. Doing so would be political suicide at this point.