Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floods near Me
10 August 2022, 02:41,
Floods near Me
We had some flooding in the eastern mountains a couple of weeks back. They are still pulling bodies from the rubble and out of the brush-piles along the rivers. They were up to 40 deaths the last I heard.

That area is all straight up and down with no place to build except the narrow bottoms along the streams that flow between the ridges. 30cm of rain in a day or two sent all the runoff down the streams in a 5-6 meter wall of water. The only way to survive it was to not be there.

Fortunately I was far away.
10 August 2022, 09:56,
RE: Floods near Me
Floods are hardly at the top of anyone's thoughts at the moment, we are in the middle of high temperatures/low moisture, everything is dry and parched, crops are dying in the fields due to lack of water and no sign of rain at all.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 August 2022, 13:20,
It’s true that water is low here. However,I suspect that when the rain starts we will be getting record Winter floods.I live overlooking a valley that is a natural flood plain ,and it’s under water for half the Winter every year
10 August 2022, 13:40,
about 3 houses downhill from me flooded several years ago, some debris floated down a gully and blocked the outlet, the water overflowed and spilled across the road, the houses there have doorways which are lower than the road level, down steps, bad design, and the water flooded the ground floors.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 August 2022, 08:12,
Flooding seems to be more common place these days , what appeared to relatively safe areas for years ....change to utter devastation over night . Water is a hell of a force of nature in large quantities .....I would imagine some defence options would have been built into the homes of this area ? Relative to known data and history of that area
.....nobody builds anything with the expectation of loosing everything they own being washed away including themselves and family .....we all live in turbulent times , what once was normal is no longer normal .....it could happen to anyone anywhere around the globe .
12 August 2022, 05:43,
Actually there are few things one can do to prevent the situation in that particular area. There is no other place to build and you know that eventually you are going to get caught by flooding.

I am talking about areas that have ridgelines 1000 meters tall with a floor of only 100 meters wide, often less, with a stream you people would call a river, we call them creeks, running down the middle.

Sooner or latter there is going to be more water coming in than can go out and it is going to take everything with it when it leaves.

But you live there anyway because it has not happened to you, yet, and mama lives next door and you don't want to leave her alone cause she's old and you and everyone in the family grew up there and you just can't leave.

This is also mining territory and for some reason miners and their families get very attached to these little mining towns. Most of them were originally from Wales and Cornwall with some Italians and Lithuanians mixed in and they just stay even when the work dries up for generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9AhbmPirc&t=1279s

I put in a link so you can see the geography and terrain.