Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total decimation
10 May 2023, 08:43,
Total decimation
Yesterday started off cloudy then the sun came out , warm and beautiful !
Then started to spit a bit of rain ….then a hail storm the size of grapes hit ,it was incredible heavy and lasted about one hour , I have never ever seen anything like it before ! Then it turned into a torrent of water coming down my drive and I do mean like a flash flood ! All we could do is watch through the windows in disbelief …gutters overflowed ….at one point the hail stones reached a depth of 4” in some places , run off pipes were full bore 18” pipe …..as the storm subsided the true extent of the devastation became obvious …the drive covered in tree leaves ( new growth ) my truck covered in the stuff .

This morning had a walk around to survey the damage or more devastation really , everything and everywhere in the open ground has had it ! All my veggies are obliterated , it’s as if MB has gone nuts with a 12 bore shotgun ! I doubt any of it stands any chance to recover ! All my hard work shot to bits in 60 minutes , I will have to reseed and replant everything ! ……the good news …….the poly tunnels are fine and all residents are doing great ! .

Never witnessed anything like it before ! All the blossoms on the trees have gone ! Including off the bramley apple tree I bought a few days ago that cost me £50.00 , to say I am totally pissed would be an understatement ! .
10 May 2023, 13:28,
RE: Total decimation
SS that’s really tuff, it’s a good job the poly tunnels are ok,best of luck with the replanting.
10 May 2023, 15:21,
although we had some rain yesterday it wasnt as bad as some places were, place called Newton Poppleford near Sidmouth on the Devon south coast was flooded, several feet of muddly silt INSIDE their properties.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2023, 22:15,
So ……….I am over it and am now embracing it ! And cracking on sowing seeds and already had follow on plants in the poly tunnels anyway ! …….all the rhubarb is shot …four lots ! The damson tree took a big hit as time moves on we shall see if it bears fruit ? Also we shall see if anything else recovers ? .
11 May 2023, 02:17,
Welcome to the world of subsistence farming!

Got any dents in the truck?

Sometimes we get hail that tears the shingles off the houses. I had to have a re-roof done back in '08 due to the same.
11 May 2023, 10:42,
Not one dent Mort ….I was expecting some damage , but nothing ! I put this down to the texture of the hail I would describe it as soft ice , more like a slush just about holding the form of hail stones , melting rapidly turning into the torrent I described …..but hard enough to destroy the tree blossoms and most all my young plants !

I treated my table and chairs last week , I noticed this morning that the treatment I used has sustained some damage …..impact marks is how I would describe it …..something in that hail has reacted with the treatment and I used good top stuff ? And two coats too ? ……..I will redo it all .
19 May 2023, 14:22,
Things are looking up a bit , the one rhubarb has recovered , some onions, potatoes, peas look as if they amount to something after all , but the spring onions , carrots are a total loss …..it’s a bit early to tell if the fruit bushes and the orchard will come to anything .

Sown some more seeds to try and catch up ….there is still time , and planted out some of the follow on stuff I hade in the poly tunnel .
19 May 2023, 14:24,
Forgot to mention the beetroot , total fail .
20 May 2023, 16:37,
More beetroot , carrots , spring onions sown today ……runner beans planted on , Sown more peas direct .
Took some cabbage , turnip and cauliflower up to john the farm yesterday …..he’s looking tired a lot these days I will call up Monday to see how he got on ……..if they are not planted on I will sort it out , thing is I do not want to appear to be taking over his garden , but I know it’s not easy for him anymore…but he will not give up or give in! ….so onward men !
26 May 2023, 13:08,
(10 May 2023, 08:43)Straight Shooter Wrote: Yesterday started off cloudy then the sun came out , warm and beautiful !
SNIP
to say I am totally pissed would be an understatement ! .
Sorry to hear that. We had a similar scene here but it wasn't as intense.

Lucky were were not in survival mode or that would have made you more than pissed off. Good luck on the repairs and your fixes to avoid that in the future.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin