Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangers of becoming complacent
14 July 2023, 10:38,
RE: Dangers of becoming complacent
anyone that tries to live the way they do now after some major collapse of society is an idiot and doomed to failure.
the only way to survive is to adapt to the new situation, prepping is only a stop gap, if the situation goes on long enough or is a permanent state of affairs everything people have stored will eventually run out, survival will be down to what you know and what you can do.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2023, 16:23,
If the world were sent back to the Mesolithic and Britain was left with a few thousand people, and I were alone, I would have a lot more chance of surviving that most people, but I still don't think I would. But if I had my kids with me, I think I might survive long enough that they could then survive with my help, and their kids might even thrive.

So, I know I need the modern world to survive ... but not all of it.
14 July 2023, 16:35,
I would quite happily live a more simple life, I have before, but then I'm a bit of a luddite, more than happy when I'm grubbing in the soil or watching the animals.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2023, 20:24,
(14 July 2023, 16:35)bigpaul Wrote: I would quite happily live a more simple life, I have before, but then I'm a bit of a luddite, more than happy when I'm grubbing in the soil or watching the animals.
I love the simple life, but I just don't like the backbreaking toil that is required to live the "simple life". However, we may not have a lot of choice on the matter, and then those who have learnt how to live the "simple life", stand a much higher chance of surviving.
15 July 2023, 07:44,
(14 July 2023, 20:24)Sekwo Wrote:
(14 July 2023, 16:35)bigpaul Wrote: I would quite happily live a more simple life, I have before, but then I'm a bit of a luddite, more than happy when I'm grubbing in the soil or watching the animals.
I love the simple life, but I just don't like the backbreaking toil that is required to live the "simple life". However, we may not have a lot of choice on the matter, and then those who have learnt how to live the "simple life", stand a much higher chance of surviving.

it depends, if your just growing enough food to feed yourself and your family, not trying to grow a huge excess to sell then the simple life is doable.
15 July 2023, 08:55,
(15 July 2023, 07:44)bigpaul Wrote:

it depends, if your just growing enough food to feed yourself and your family, not trying to grow a huge excess to sell then the simple life is doable.
It's doable, because our ancestors lived that way, but it wasn't a pleasant life. Any society given the chance to change, has always opted for the modern world.

Big problem with the modern world, is you get locked in, one generation in, and you've lost all the knowledge your ancestors had and are unable to survive without the modern world.
15 July 2023, 11:32,
(15 July 2023, 08:55)Sekwo Wrote:
(15 July 2023, 07:44)bigpaul Wrote:

It's doable, because our ancestors lived that way, but it wasn't a pleasant life. Any society given the chance to change, has always opted for the modern world.

Big problem with the modern world, is you get locked in, one generation in, and you've lost all the knowledge your ancestors had and are unable to survive without the modern world.
so you teach your offspring the knowledge and skills you have.
we dont need the modern world to survive, it just makes it more easy.
15 July 2023, 15:15,
just because people live the modern life dosent mean its the right way to live, its just what we are used to.
you go out to work so you get paid so you can pay bills, what if you didnt have to?
a modern life is NOT a natural life.
given the choice between a modern lifestyle and a simple life I know which I would choose and it wouldnt be the former.
15 July 2023, 17:14,
I am at my most comfortable when I am outside in the garden or just outside in general , after the preparations for winter have been completed and the nights are dark and cold , I light the wood stove and gaze at the light the fire provides and wait a while for the stew to warm up , break off some home baked bread and eat …..there is nothing more relaxing and satisfying , especially if you have produced most of the ingredients through your own toil , it don’t better than that ! That’s living ! .
16 July 2023, 07:46,
I am at my happiest either working in the garden or going for our early morning nature works.