Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pigeons !
22 February 2024, 10:16,
Wink  Pigeons !
I've eaten pigeon many yrs ago, two breasts make a meal, in a difficult situation one breast per person would suffice.
Now, the reason for the thread. The guy opposite feeds the birds, he has attracted a flock of pigeons and smaller birds on average twice a day. They gather on his roof and descend to eat when it's quiet and nobody's around.
I would imagine, trapping one every other day or so, would not stop them visiting, providing it was done with a minimum of fuss.
I'm not suggesting taking his birds but maybe attracting pigeons and doves to my own back garden, might be a potential food source of the future ?
Some corn put out daily in the same place, to build up trust in feeding might pay dividends in the future.
Obviously have to avoid attracting rats by removing uneaten food but pigeons are greedy so I don't see that as a problem.

What do you think ?
22 February 2024, 11:01,
RE: Pigeons !
this is exactly what we do know, we feed the birds including Pigeons and collared Doves so they will feed up post SHTF.
wood pigeons are everywhere in our area so taking a few wont affect the numbers.
do NOT put out Fat Balls, that is what attracts the Rats.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2024, 11:33,
BTW Pigeons and other birds like Sunflower hearts, this is like Steak to them, available in places like Mole Avon and some weekly markets. dont forget Peanuts- non salted- for the nut feeders.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2024, 12:04,
Eating wild birds is that safe , most birds have to be kept indoors these days because of bird flue.
The guy opposite me works in that industry and he and his whole family are given some sort of jab to protect themselves from it.
Survive the jive (youtube )
22 February 2024, 12:43,
bird flu rises its head every so often but it seems to be very low risk at the moment where I am.
22 February 2024, 13:30,
(22 February 2024, 11:01)bigpaul Wrote: this is exactly what we do know, we feed the birds including Pigeons and collared Doves so they will feed up post SHTF.
wood pigeons are everywhere in our area so taking a few wont affect the numbers.
do NOT put out Fat Balls, that is what attracts the Rats.

Thanx, a friend of mine on the night shift where I used to work was a shooter, he would bring game in every now n again cos he knew I liked that kind of thing. Pigeons, pheasants, even chickens culled from barns.
I remember one time my mother in law n me plucking n gutting these chickens he'd culled for a local farmer out of his barn.
We were in her kitchen drinking cider, with feathers everywhere, even in our cider lol ? my then 2 yr old daughter laughing hysterically.
I think the trick with feeding n encouraging them is to take one, now n again with a minimum of fuss, probably via a drop trap. Food on top, bird steps on, disappears through the trapdoor.
You don't want it flapping like a maniac scaring the crap out of the rest.
Maybe worth planting a few sunflowers in the garden, for the seed heads ?
22 February 2024, 13:38,
I think I'd probably shoot them but thats just me. they soon come back again afterwards.
we buy Sunflower Hearts at our local weekly market, also available at Mole Avon and Mole Valley Farmers stores.
I think a lot of people just cut them open and take the breasts out without all the plucking.
havent had a pheasant for awhile although there are plenty in this area.
get venison once in a while, I also like mutton.
22 February 2024, 13:39,
I'd like to do something with road kill but the wife dosent want her kitchen messed up! LOL.
23 February 2024, 01:29,
(22 February 2024, 13:38)bigpaul Wrote: I think I'd probably shoot them but thats just me. they soon come back again afterwards.
we buy Sunflower Hearts at our local weekly market, also available at Mole Avon and Mole Valley Farmers stores.
I think a lot of people just cut them open and take the breasts out without all the plucking.
havent had a pheasant for awhile although there are plenty in this area.
get venison once in a while, I also like mutton.

I can see shooting working as well, I'd be inclined to use an air weapon but with an answer air weapon you've got to be very accurate. A shotgun is too loud.
But if you're still feeding they'll come back. Pigeons have amazingly armoured feathers though, and I've seen them shot with shotguns n still flying off.
Regarding the breasts yeah, there no point plucking pigeons, it's basically just a matter of the two breasts that are edible.
I like the idea of the old Warren and warrener style of food maintenance, it's a lost art these days, similar to the duck lure ponds that had special channels running off them, where dogs were used to herd them into nets at the end of the channels.
There was an old Warren at a cottage hospital I worked at, the hospital was originally a country house and the warren was part of the original estate.
It was teeming with rabbits, there was an estate fish lake as well.
23 February 2024, 09:40,
an air rifle will be a good post SHTF all round tool.