Survival UK Forums

Full Version: uk bug out, how long would you last ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
the last 2 winters have been freezing with temperatures averaging zero to minus 13, our summers well rain rain rain.
how long could you last bugging out .
Tough one to answer really.

Shall we say that the Bug out date was Jan 1st and we have what we have now?

If I'm honest I would say a few days. Food and water wouldn't be a problem as it snows up here but I would not be able to provide the shelter needed. I might get lucky and find a decent shelter but i'm not that lucky.
yes today its rained all day and you might not be able to light a fire for security reasons
That is a hard one it depends on a lot of things .
Well I know that shelter would not be a problem for me, no matter what the weather,..and to be honest it shouldn't be for any of us,.. we of all people should be able to turn around and say with surety that you can make shelter if needed no matter what the weather

If you cant find the right materials to make a shelter than you should at least be able to carry a shelter, it takes nothing to carry two groundsheets/capes and a roll of string

and as for fire,..slightly harder, but we should all carry a small amount of dried tinder in a tobacco tin and some survival matches of fire striker
The time of year will make a difference , but only in so far as if snows down , but there again that's why we prepare, its not as if you will be wearing a tee shirt n trainers and shorts in the dead of winter is it? , so what ever the season you find yourself in, your plan should accommodate it, if you have done your homework on your pre planed BOLs you would have planed for shelter , water, food and heat n cooking, thing is this site tells you what to do , its what preparing is all about, how long YOU would last is ALL up to YOU and how well YOU have prepared .
Making a shelter when deep snow is down makes the whole thing easier, dig out the snow to the size of your shelter using that snow to build the sides up higher, then your roof of choice doesn't need to be as high, you end up lower down and less of you against the wind, and there fore warmer.

....and the shelter I would use here would be the same shelter I would have used in the summer
(14 May 2013, 21:24)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]its not as if you will be wearing a tee shirt n trainers and shorts in the dead of winter is it?

I actually do this Blush I also sleep with the window wide open (which is above my head) whatever the season, this drives the wife mad. It also drives me mad when it decides to chuck it down in the middle of the night and i wake dripping wet through. Big Grin

How many people have shovels in their BOB?
I have an American Military folding shovel in my bag
10-12 days before needing a re-supply of food, either foraged, hunted or scavanged. If that's possible, then on-going really, until something breaks irrepairably or wears out, or I get injured or ill.

My bug-out equipment is basically the same as my backpacking gear; a lightweight tent suitable for year-round UK conditions in all but the highest locations, sleeping mat, decent sleeping bag, trangia and fuel, dried food, first aid kit, change of clothes, extra warm layer, decent waterproofs, compass, gloves, hat, appropriate maps, knife, fire lighting kit, water bottle, fishing rod.

None of this is really time-dependent apart from the food and fuel. Your body will continue to operate provided you have food, are hydrated, stay dry and stay reasonably well insulated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4