Survival UK Forums

Full Version: another point raised by blackout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(12 September 2013, 20:27)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]isnt the whole purpose of a EMP to whipe out electronics leaving your enemy weak to an attack?

no electronics means no batteries to start your car, CPU's would be fried so planes wouldnt be able to take off with all the tech they use now and no mains power means none of the modern trains would run either.

Please explain how an Electro Magnetic Pulse will kill a lead acid chemical reaction Huh

I'm dying to hear Shy

Diesel and steam trains do not run on electricity.

WaylanderCool
hey im no expert, im just repeating information ive heard previously. but if an EMP dosent affect batteries why does anything need EMP proof'd,surely if you just turn it off it should be fine?

as for the train issue, how many steam trains are still in regular use? now Diesel i dont know about but it seems like a lot of the trains ive seen lately are electric and im pretty sure the london tube system dosent run on diesel either.

but who knows maybe they could get the Hogwarts express on it.
do diesel have electronic control systems?

can steam trains run on racks where all the points are electronically operated?

do most modern cars/lorries have electronic engine management systems?

are our water supplies controlled via computer interface control systems?

are big container ships run using computer control systems ?

cpu's are everywhere and if an EMP hit then there would be major problems and it would be a SHTF event
No one has yet mentioned the scale of the EMP if one was to come our way,.. one big enough to do the `complete damage` that we are talking about is a most unlikely event,..[ although I do think one is over due ]

Smaller ones happen all the time, some just annoy people, like the people who live in Alaska, their radios are effected all the time

....but on big enough to damage the whole of the UK, every piece of electrical equipment,... far more unlikely

as for batteries,.. no-one seems to know if they would be effected or not,.. so best to protect just in case
My point is, shit happens. But mankind soldiers on.

All those people who you deride as sheep, have got through bigger shit, than not being able to cash their giro.

An EMP or power cut will be a temporary glitch, not a return to the stoneage.

Societies can and indeed have been rebuilt with a generation.

WaylanderCool
I'm not expecting a complete return to the stone age but if something happens that interrupts food supplies for significant time then people will be killing each other just to survive.

if the powers down for several days then things may start getting a little hairy but if it's down for weeks and weeks it could get bad very bad.
We had a power cut here that lasted five days last year,... no-one batted an eyelid

....and everyone had plenty of food
(12 September 2013, 21:01)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not expecting a complete return to the stone age but if something happens that interrupts food supplies for significant time then people will be killing each other just to survive.

if the powers down for several days then things may start getting a little hairy but if it's down for weeks and weeks it could get bad very bad.

Yes, things will get hairy.

Like they did in New Orleans. But people survived.

I prep myself so you are preaching to the converted. I just don't buy into this fantasy scenario that so many seem to be wanting to happenRolleyes

WaylanderCool
(12 September 2013, 21:04)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]We had a power cut here that lasted five days last year,... no-one batted an eyelid

....and everyone had plenty of food

that's because you live in the middle of know where and these things are expected.

now a 5 day power cut in the middle of winter in a big city?

(12 September 2013, 21:06)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 September 2013, 21:01)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not expecting a complete return to the stone age but if something happens that interrupts food supplies for significant time then people will be killing each other just to survive.

Yes, things will get hairy.

Like they did in New Orleans. But people survived.

I prep myself so you are preaching to the converted. I just don't buy into this fantasy scenario that so many seem to be wanting to happenRolleyes

WaylanderCool

I hoping nothing happens but I'm prepping just in case Big Grin
(12 September 2013, 21:07)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]I hoping nothing happens but I'm prepping just in case Big Grin

Snap !

I prep, to be more self sufficient and self reliant, not because I think the zombie apocalypse is imminent.

Prepping fits in with my way of life and my philosophies. It is not my be all and end all.

I enjoy it, without the paranoia Tongue

WaylanderCool

P.S. And I really love NR's listsAngel
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6