Survival UK Forums

Full Version: another point raised by blackout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ok, like Highlander, 5 days without mains power (especially in winter) is common here.

I'd be completely off-grid if the planners would let me have a wind turbine.

But in the city, yes, five days would be anarchy.

there would be a lot of "offings" of people, and dumping them places (in my experience, best place is embankments, middle of roundabouts, disused buildings- out of the way spots) .

At the moment the police are just about staying ahead on things, they'd be overwhelmed after something like that.

Oh, and the DNA database- ha, that's just one big hard drive connected to the network- it's been taken out in the past with a strong cup of coffee (think it was the three sugars that did it in), a power cut of over a week would kill it.

Or an EMP, which fries circuit boards- literally, it melts the band gaps in semiconductors (which allows them to pass electricity).

But yes, turn the power off for a while, and it would be very much like Blackout.
(12 September 2013, 20:36)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]Diesel and steam trains do not run on electricity.

WaylanderCool

I work for the rail industry & travel on diesel trains almost every day. The modern ones in current use, although powered by diesel, are still very reliant on electronics. The automatic brake (dead mans pedal for the driver) is an obvious one straight off. No electrics = brakes locked on tight & the train is going nowhere.
(12 September 2013, 22:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I work for the rail industry & travel on diesel trains almost every day. The modern ones in current use, although powered by diesel, are still very reliant on electronics. The automatic brake (dead mans pedal for the driver) is an obvious one straight off. No electrics = brakes locked on tight & the train is going nowhere.

How many trains have been taken out by ;

1. EMP ?

2. The wrong type of leaf on the tracks.

WaylanderRolleyes
the whole point surely is if you rely completely on technology at some point that technology will fail. just look at mobile phones, up until 20 years ago very few people had mobiles now nearly everyone has, most people rely on them so much they would be lost without them and would go into screaming fits if something took them out of use just for a short period. oh by the way i'm still looking for that quote about the relays.
(13 September 2013, 08:32)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]the whole point surely is if you rely completely on technology at some point that technology will fail. just look at mobile phones, up until 20 years ago very few people had mobiles now nearly everyone has, most people rely on them so much they would be lost without them and would go into screaming fits if something took them out of use just for a short period. oh by the way i'm still looking for that quote about the relays.

BP, the info on sub station relays getting hit is on one of the therds here. I;m too busy today to search it out myself, but hope this feedback points you in the right direction... sorry I cannot remember which section it was in though
(12 September 2013, 22:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 September 2013, 20:36)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]Diesel and steam trains do not run on electricity.

WaylanderCool

I work for the rail industry & travel on diesel trains almost every day. The modern ones in current use, although powered by diesel, are still very reliant on electronics. The automatic brake (dead mans pedal for the driver) is an obvious one straight off. No electrics = brakes locked on tight & the train is going nowhere.

good point, but what kind of switch is it? forklifts use bog standard mechanical microswitches, these shouldn't be affected by an EMP, especially if partially shielded by the grounded loco body?
(13 September 2013, 08:38)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(13 September 2013, 08:32)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]the whole point surely is if you rely completely on technology at some point that technology will fail. just look at mobile phones, up until 20 years ago very few people had mobiles now nearly everyone has, most people rely on them so much they would be lost without them and would go into screaming fits if something took them out of use just for a short period. oh by the way i'm still looking for that quote about the relays.

BP, the info on sub station relays getting hit is on one of the therds here. I;m too busy today to search it out myself, but hope this feedback points you in the right direction... sorry I cannot remember which section it was in though

yes thanks LS, I may have printed it off, will have to go through my files and see if I can find it. i'm just saying I think it is a possibility and we would be silly just to dismiss it out of hand.
(13 September 2013, 08:40)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 September 2013, 22:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]

WaylanderCool

good point, but what kind of switch is it? forklifts use bog standard mechanical microswitches, these shouldn't be affected by an EMP, especially if partially shielded by the grounded loco body?

Bugger knows mate. I just sell tea & coffee Big Grin

(12 September 2013, 22:57)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 September 2013, 22:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I work for the rail industry & travel on diesel trains almost every day. The modern ones in current use, although powered by diesel, are still very reliant on electronics. The automatic brake (dead mans pedal for the driver) is an obvious one straight off. No electrics = brakes locked on tight & the train is going nowhere.

How many trains have been taken out by ;

1. EMP ?

2. The wrong type of leaf on the tracks.

WaylanderRolleyes

The answer (based on the time I've worked here - almost 10 years) to both your points is zero for each. The only time there is such a thing as wrong type of leaves on the track is when the tabloid papers want a decent headline. The issues with leaves though are 1) dry leaves can jam in the brakes - possible fire risk & brake failure. 2) wet leaves - stops the wheels getting traction & causes wheel-slips. This affects acceleration & can also affect brake effectiveness.
I've been through the back pages and have found 2 references to power out. one is in Threats and risks/National Grid, the other is headed: Hypothetical look at London after 3 days without power.

I am not going to spend any more time on this just cos ONE person dosent agree with my assessment. I would have thought TOP of any preppers list of threats and risks is Power Down! I know its mine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6