Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I do that always a circuitous route and avoid motorways unless time is an issue...waste of tyres and fuel on a bike the motorway is, must be a biker thing....don't use satnav either because it blunts your navigational memmory...may turn it on for the final run in or a complex intersection but not much else...prefer maps and my innate sense of direction.
(31 March 2014, 15:53)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]I do that always a circuitous route and avoid motorways unless time is an issue...waste of tyres and fuel on a bike the motorway is, must be a biker thing....

I don't get that bit? How's a motorway a waste of tyres and fuel?

I'm not a biker - you're going to have to explain that one to me Smile
on a motorcycle....its just crap you don't enjoy it , i can usually get from A to B on A roads as quickly as cars can get there on motorways , tyres don't last very long as there quite soft and sticky hence waste of tyres and petrol(on a bike) a rear for mine is £140 and lasts about 5000 miles the really sticky ones can be less than half that mileage , mine are sports touring compound.
(31 March 2014, 16:29)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]on a motorcycle....its just crap you don't enjoy it , i can usually get from A to B on A roads as quickly as cars can get there on motorways , tyres don't last very long as there quite soft and sticky hence waste of tyres and petrol(on a bike) a rear for mine is £140 and lasts about 5000 miles the really sticky ones can be less than half that mileage , mine are sports touring compound.

Then you, sir, need a 4x4 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
A biker needs a 4X4 like a fish needs a bicycle.(the only people I truly trust are other bikers).
In reply to LS' comments about Land Rovers Devonian Weote:

I agree with everything here except the cost.

Whilst Land Rovers are low cost to operate, maintain and tax etc, they are not cheap to purchase and in fact the cost of Land Rovers, even old knackered ones is increasing significantly and with the end of production of the of the Defender in December this year, that problem is getting worse and worse.

But once you have one, you can effectively just keep rebuilding it which is why something like 80% of all the Land Rovers (excluding the Disco's/Freelanders etc) ever built since the 1940's are still on the road today.

LS Reply,

I agree with you about the cost of Land Rover 90s and 110s Devonian. I was thinking more on the lines of Land Rover as a Make, and the low cost of Discoveries in particular. Still viable 300Tdi vehicles can often be had for hundreds of pounds.
(2 April 2014, 06:04)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you about the cost of Land Rover 90s and 110s Devonian. I was thinking more on the lines of Land Rover as a Make, and the low cost of Discoveries in particular. Still viable 300Tdi vehicles can often be had for hundreds of pounds.

Yes that is true and the Disco's are very capable vehicles as well and as you say, can be picked up for a lot less than a Series/90/110/Defender.
(2 April 2014, 10:08)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 06:04)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you about the cost of Land Rover 90s and 110s Devonian. I was thinking more on the lines of Land Rover as a Make, and the low cost of Discoveries in particular. Still viable 300Tdi vehicles can often be had for hundreds of pounds.

Yes that is true and the Disco's are very capable vehicles as well and as you say, can be picked up for a lot less than a Series/90/110/Defender.

They're a damn site more comfortable to drive as an every day vehicle too.

No where near as much fun as a 90, but on a long haul, I think I'd go for the disco. My 90 was good fun, but a 250 mile round trip in it was hell. Not being able to move the seat back is a bit of a pain when you're 6'2
(2 April 2014, 11:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]No where near as much fun as a 90, but on a long haul, I think I'd go for the disco. My 90 was good fun, but a 250 mile round trip in it was hell. Not being able to move the seat back is a bit of a pain when you're 6'2

You could have always got a bulkhead removal kit to allow you to push the seat back.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/bulkhead-removal-bar.html
Yeah, but that's arse-ache Smile

Still good fun, even if I did have my knees near my ears.

Shame I can't afford a Bowler WildCat...

That's based on the 90 (kind of...)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9