Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2 April 2014, 12:27)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Shame I can't afford a Bowler WildCat...

If only!!

At the Bristol and West Land Rover show you can pay to have a trip around the off road course in one .........
Ah, but do you get to drive it?
No, but you do end up clenching your buttocks very tightly!!

You can however take your own vehicle around, but that's not the same as doing it in the Wildcat.
(2 April 2014, 11:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 10:08)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 06:04)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you about the cost of Land Rover 90s and 110s Devonian. I was thinking more on the lines of Land Rover as a Make, and the low cost of Discoveries in particular. Still viable 300Tdi vehicles can often be had for hundreds of pounds.

Yes that is true and the Disco's are very capable vehicles as well and as you say, can be picked up for a lot less than a Series/90/110/Defender.

They're a damn site more comfortable to drive as an every day vehicle too.

No where near as much fun as a 90, but on a long haul, I think I'd go for the disco. My 90 was good fun, but a 250 mile round trip in it was hell. Not being able to move the seat back is a bit of a pain when you're 6'2

Agreed BM and Dev, multi-use every day transport the Discovery has a lot going for it. The mechanics are just as durable as those on a Defender ( because they are identical), but the interior is a little more fragile, bit comes with greater creature comfort....and lots more stowage containers.
(4 April 2014, 08:12)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 11:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 10:08)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 April 2014, 06:04)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you about the cost of Land Rover 90s and 110s Devonian. I was thinking more on the lines of Land Rover as a Make, and the low cost of Discoveries in particular. Still viable 300Tdi vehicles can often be had for hundreds of pounds.

Yes that is true and the Disco's are very capable vehicles as well and as you say, can be picked up for a lot less than a Series/90/110/Defender.

They're a damn site more comfortable to drive as an every day vehicle too.

No where near as much fun as a 90, but on a long haul, I think I'd go for the disco. My 90 was good fun, but a 250 mile round trip in it was hell. Not being able to move the seat back is a bit of a pain when you're 6'2

Agreed BM and Dev, multi-use every day transport the Discovery has a lot going for it. The mechanics are just as durable as those on a Defender ( because they are identical), but the interior is a little more fragile, bit comes with greater creature comfort....and lots more stowage containers.

Yup, and you can get an auto box (which I prefer)
BM: Ditto Auto Box: That means that if push comes to shove, pretty much anyone in our group can drive the thing.

This is the 4th auto we've had and each of them did well over 100k miles without any transmission problems whatsoever.
(4 April 2014, 10:40)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]BM: Ditto Auto Box: That means that if push comes to shove, pretty much anyone in our group can drive the thing.

This is the 4th auto we've had and each of them did well over 100k miles without any transmission problems whatsoever.

Yeah, I think most of the auto boxes now, the fluid is "for life" so doesn't require any maintenance. I've had autos for ages now, never had a problem really. My surf is auto, so Jade can drive it, but with no LSD or traction control, and a 3ltr turbo under the bonnet, the back swings out wildly in the wet. Thinking of going back to ML320, now that I'll be on the train every day instead of driving.
The Surf sounds like a keeper to me. One of the simple mechanics versions.

Personally I've given up on Mercs. They are fine on flat tarmac but I've had huge numbers of suspension and electrical breakdowns when on less than perfect road surfaces. But when they're working they are a nice drive.
(4 April 2014, 12:30)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]The Surf sounds like a keeper to me. One of the simple mechanics versions.

Personally I've given up on Mercs. They are fine on flat tarmac but I've had huge numbers of suspension and electrical breakdowns when on less than perfect road surfaces. But when they're working they are a nice drive.

Yes, when all is well they're brilliant. Should you have an issue... £50 an hour labour (from Merc) and the parts are extortionate, even non-OEM parts.

Surf is very good, but with no LSD it's not great on ice etc. although I suppose it would be cheaper for me to invest in MT tyres and some chains.
I have the 2nd Gen, which is based on the hilux. I could have had a 3rd gen, but that's based on the land cruiser chassis which, apparently, is harder to work on if it requires any welding etc.

I'm servicing it myself tomorrow in preparation for the upcoming MOT. Fingers crossed itr'll go through with no issues. I may need new shoes for it, which could be expensive...
could never see the point of automatics myself and yes I've had ONE, autos are for people who cant change gear....Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin mind you I've seen plenty of people in manual cars who don't change gear going uphill and drag the thing all the way up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9