Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I know folks who love em ( lazy gits) but I always avoided them for two reasons, first FUEL ECONOMY you lose tween 10 and 18 % of your fuel economy to automatics ( generally) and Torque Convertors are most certainly NOT bits for DIY repair
Yup you take a hit on economy etc. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone who needed a new torque converter. I had a garage tell me that I needed mine replacing, but after taking it to another garage it turns out they were just trying to rob me.

Very handy in traffic though, especially in a 4x4 with a big heavy clutch.

I had a Mitsi L200 Warrior. That was awesome, apart from the heavy clutch and lack of traction on the back wheels.
No room in the back for passengers with legs either...
But no clutch to wear out BP.... and that makes vehicles with auto boxes more reliable than manuals.

Choose the right engine / auto box combo and they are more fuel efficient than manuals too

So, more reliable, cheaper to run, and easier to drive. That's an easy decision to make:-)
(4 April 2014, 15:09)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]Choose the right engine / auto box combo and they are more fuel efficient than manuals too

Whoops - I've evidently got the wrong combination...

25mpg on a good day. Down hill. Being pushed.

But, I'll happily exchange my limited MPG figures for something that even a child can drive and get out of dodge in.

Manuals are all well and good, but if you break your left leg / foot - you're screwed. Automatic - prepared for any situation Smile
(4 April 2014, 15:09)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]But no clutch to wear out BP.... and that makes vehicles with auto boxes more reliable than manuals.

you must have a heavy foot LS, I've been driving cars, vans and lorries and riding motorbikes for nearly half a century now and I have NEVER worn out a clutch!!!
(4 April 2014, 15:18)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(4 April 2014, 15:09)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]But no clutch to wear out BP.... and that makes vehicles with auto boxes more reliable than manuals.

you must have a heavy foot LS, I've been driving cars, vans and lorries and riding motorbikes for nearly half a century now and I have NEVER worn out a clutch!!!

They go out through normal wear and tear. I've gone through 2. Although one of them was due to a quick 180 and a huge wheel spin Rolleyes

£1000 later, and all was well again, apart from my bank balance...
(4 April 2014, 15:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ][quote='bigpaul' pid='80072' dateline='1396621131']

ouch! that'll teach you to ride the clutch!!
(4 April 2014, 15:32)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(4 April 2014, 15:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ][quote='bigpaul' pid='80072' dateline='1396621131']

ouch! that'll teach you to ride the clutch!!

No riding involved. Dropping the clutch at 5(ish)k revs, lighting up my 19" Pirrelli P-Zero Neros, and shooting off down the road it what did it.

Serves me right for buying a brand new Volvo...
no what did it is driving like a little boy racer.

only a boy racer would buy a 3 litre "dad truck" and then complain about the fuel consumption, if you drive like a loon of course your going to use more fuel, wear out tyres and clutches.
(4 April 2014, 15:48)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]no what did it is driving like a little boy racer.

No boy racer driving; it was a perfectly executed, high speed, 180 (with the aid of a handbrake - so cheated a little) something even Jensen Button would have been proud of...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9