Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(4 April 2014, 14:11)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I know folks who love em ( lazy gits) but I always avoided them for two reasons, first FUEL ECONOMY you lose tween 10 and 18 % of your fuel economy to automatics ( generally) and Torque Convertors are most certainly NOT bits for DIY repair

Good point about trorque convertors NR, but could you take apart and repair a manual gearbox?

BP Wow I'm impressed.

I never thought it was possible to drive a car without eventually wearing out its clutch.

What's the secret?
(4 April 2014, 16:41)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]BP Wow I'm impressed.

I never thought it was possible to drive a car without eventually wearing out its clutch.

What's the secret?
I have never had the sort of income that people seem to have these days, have always had to watch every penny, so I drive steadily NOT slowly but within the speed limit trying to keep my fuel consumption down, that's why I drive a 1400 MPV not some dad truck-I see them all the time around here-the tyres must cost a ruddy fortune, I buy ONE set of tyres per year-about £225, 1 service every year +the MOT costs me about £250, I top up the fuel tank when it gets to half about 30-35 litres that's once a week now, maybe twice a week in the summer when we go further afield, I find if you keep to the speed limit, don't go haring off at 90mph like most seem to do the petrol goes further and the tyres last longer!!!

even riding a motorcycle have always kept to a cruising speed of 60-65mph with the odd dash up to 70 to warm up the tyres!Big Grin
(4 April 2014, 16:41)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]but could you take apart and repair a manual gearbox?

Dunno about NR, but i can, i've overhauled gearboxes at knockhill circuit without a press, didn't have an option really

BP you buy a set of tyres per year? how many miles do you do??? holy smokes i've seen national sales reps get longer out of a set than you!

and +1 for autos,

I always go for autos if i can, the reliability is second to none, especially as i tend to have jap cars, very reliable autos
(5 April 2014, 08:57)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Lightspeed' pid='80097' dateline='1396626113']

BP you buy a set of tyres per year? how many miles do you do??? holy smokes i've seen national sales reps get longer out of a set than you!

I DONT think so, your taking the wee-wee, have you seen the way reps drive??
honestly, most of them can get 30k miles to a set
(5 April 2014, 11:37)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]honestly, most of them can get 30k miles to a set

yeah, that's on main roads and motorways, not on the sort of roads I drive on. I change mine every year end of feb/beginning of march even if there is tread left on it, regular as clockwork, I don't let them get worn right down, had a couple of punctures doing that in the past so I don't take the chance, not sure what the mileage is I just do it on such and such a date.
Tyres are one place you shouldn't skimp , I got 75k out of 6 Michelin energy tyres from new on my astra 1.7td , rotated front to rear left to right every annual service and bought one new tyre to pair up with the brand new spare when the current front pair were getting close to the wear limit , the better of the two being taken off went in the boot as the spare...car was driven briskly but not thrashed , a lot of solo commuting as I had an 84 mile round trip to work at the time, they brand new fronts were just rotated left to right until the all wore out en masse
I averaged 35K on my vans and 45K on my cars
I get about 15K to a set of tyres, when I change the tyres they probably have about 6 weeks wear left on them(according to my local garage mechanic) but I don't want to take the chance, so I change them regularly once a year on the same date. but then I am mostly driving on unclassified back country roads and farm tracks which haven't been repaired much less resurfaced in the last 8-10 years and probably wont be, and even some of the A and B roads aren't in much better condition.
blimey Paul 15k is shocking for any kind of roads , i once bought some asian budget tyres that only lasted 20k turned out to be false economy as the tyres changed the handling of the car and the braking radically and in all the time those tyres were on i never felt comfortable with the car , it pushed wide on corners and didn't stop like it should , so much so that i swopped cars with the wife cos i didn't want her driving it with the kids in....premium tyres everytime now..can't put a price on the safety and security of your loved ones...the tyres in question were kumho
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9