Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But would you?
13 April 2013, 09:40,
RE: But would you?
(12 April 2013, 22:49)Mortblanc Wrote:
(12 April 2013, 22:01)Tibbs735 Wrote: I would jump at the chance to own firearms, especially if they did not require registration. That way, If they ever changed their mind, they would not be able to find them!

I would want to build a suitable battery, ala Mel Tappam. It would include things like a defensive pistol, a working gun (revolver), pump shotgun, scoped rifle and a *gasp* military style semi-auto with removable magazines, at least.

Tappin had some good survival theory.

But it was exactly that for him, untested theory.

He was paralyzed from the waist down and restricted to a wheelchair for most of his life.

Before he was paralyzed, he did some really extensive testing, as well as living what he preached; he was a ranch owner / homesteader. He did things like buy several copies of the same gun from different manufacturers and retailers, so that he could comment from a more informed perspective when he wrote articles for magazines such as Guns and Ammo.

For his recommended battle rifle, the HK91, he did torture testing like loading toothpaste into the magazines, firing 900 rounds as fast as possible, and still getting consistent groups at the end of the testing.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
13 April 2013, 11:07,
it's a shame you need an FAC to buy shotgun cartridges, would be nice to get some in for if you ever found a shotgun after the SHTF
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
13 April 2013, 13:30,
(13 April 2013, 11:07)preservefreak Wrote: it's a shame you need an FAC to buy shotgun cartridges, would be nice to get some in for if you ever found a shotgun after the SHTF

It would be very easy to manufacture shotgun cartridges, along with other types of ammo as a cottage industry, post shtf of course.

Google "Expedient homemade shotgun ammo" for pdfs.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
13 April 2013, 16:06,
I was under the assumption that one needed a permit to buy primers, powder and shot???
13 April 2013, 18:14,
(13 April 2013, 16:06)Mortblanc Wrote: I was under the assumption that one needed a permit to buy primers, powder and shot???

Shot can easily cast, as can bullets, and is legal to own and buy without a license, as are casings.

The author assumed, as the book is marketed as "expedient," that blank cartridges would provide the primer and powder you require.
14 April 2013, 16:38,
(13 April 2013, 11:07)preservefreak Wrote: it's a shame you need an FAC to buy shotgun cartridges, would be nice to get some in for if you ever found a shotgun after the SHTF

You don't,you need a shotgun certificate to buy them.Here's the strange thing though,you don't need a licence to own them,just to buy them.Also there's no limit for cartridges,i but them in 1000 at a time,works out much cheaper for the range.
14 April 2013, 16:47,
crossbows even kill bears, ammo is free, no licence needed, there cheap and most importantly, silent. guns attract attention.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
17 May 2013, 13:34,
I'll stick with my .308 rifle thanks, if tshtf it will also chamber and accurately fire military 7.62x51 nato full metal jacket and is good out to 1000yds and maybe a little bit beyond!
17 May 2013, 16:34,
Yep I would have one of each.

Handgun, for everyday protection
Shotgun, for looting and close combat situations
Rifle, for hunting
AR, for emergency
Mines, in the garden
Rocket launcher, to really scare the poo out of people

Ok the last two are a bit far fetched Smile
19 May 2013, 00:21,
Crossbows can kill bears but the probability of a knock down hit is lower than with a firearm. The repercussions could be upsetting - but it is still far better than many other ranged weapons - in the right situation..

Spears can kill bears too and even swords - it all comes down to effectiveness and probabilities. 1 shot kills are the desired result, especially in a bear survival scenario. TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"