Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Practical Rifle
6 August 2023, 13:09,
Photo  DIY Practical Rifle
I thought I would share a project I have been working on for quite some time. My idea is to put together a general-purpose rifle that could handle any situation thrown at it, and which would be the first one I grab in a SHTF scenario. I have always liked the idea of a scout rifle (as per Jeff Cooper) but I think the idea of a forward-mounted long eye relief scope is a bit dated. Modern scopes have come a long way.
I have always believed in having a gunsmith work on my rifles, but for this project I wanted to learn the skills myself. If I can build it then I can fix it.

My vision is an all-weather rifle that could be used for hunting and home defense with multiple quick changeable sighting options, all in a handy but rugged package. It needs to be utterly reliable. The rifle needs to be chambered in something commonly available (both for ammo and handloading components).

A few years ago a purchased a left-handed Winchester M70 Stainless in 30-06. The wooden stock had been chopped down to the extent that it was unusable to me.

What I have done to date:
-I have installed Talley stainless bases
-The rear base is machined for the Talley quick detachable peep site
-I have a Meopta Meopro 3-9x50 scope in quick detachable Talley rings. This scope has a BDC reticle.
-I have finished the inletting on a new wooden stock sent to me from a friend in the USA, and am in the process of a hand-rubbed oil finish (this will be temporary until I can find a synthetic stock).
- I have replaced the factory stock bolts with ones that have a hex head - much easier to remove with an allen key.

What still needs to be done:
- I have ordered a barrel band front site which I plan to steel epoxy onto the barrel at 22"
-The barrel will be trimmed and threaded for a moderator/silencer forward of the sight with a hidden thread protector (to be done by the gunsmith as I simply can't do this).
-I have ordered a set of high-viz patridge front sights of a few different heights
-A front sling attachment for the stock forend needs to be installed.
-I need to find a sturdy synthetic stock, but I am struggling to find any that will fit a left-handed M70.
- I also need to find a low-powered scope with an illuminated reticle. Something along the lines of a 1-6x that I can put in QD rings.
- Cerakote all the stainless metal parts a darker colour.

Once it is all put together I will have a stock pouch with the peep sight, a spare front blade, the allen key for stock removal, and a few rounds of spare ammo. I will have two scopes prezero'd. One 3-9x50 capable of making shots out to 500m with the BDC reticle, and another scope with an illuminated reticle for use in darker settings. A durable sling will top it all off.

I have a box of new Lapua brass and some Barnes 175gn LRX so will do some load development at the end and then zero the scopes and peep site for the load. I am hoping to be able to take it out after a deer later this year and hopefully using the peep sight.

Messages In This Thread
DIY Practical Rifle - by Camp_Bell - 6 August 2023, 13:09
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Camp_Bell - 6 August 2023, 13:31
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Mortblanc - 6 August 2023, 16:44
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Camp_Bell - 6 August 2023, 18:30
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by CharlesHarris - 6 August 2023, 18:34
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Camp_Bell - 6 August 2023, 19:55
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by CharlesHarris - 6 August 2023, 20:07
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Camp_Bell - 6 August 2023, 21:27
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Skean Dhude - 7 August 2023, 11:48
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by Mortblanc - 7 August 2023, 16:19
RE: DIY Practical Rifle - by bigpaul - 7 August 2023, 16:29