Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rucksack disaster, advice sought plez
28 April 2012, 23:46,
RE: Rucksack disaster, advice sought plez
Yes W&C, We did look at those Swedish ones and try them on. The reason I didn't plump for them is because the ones available at the supplier were a bit ropey and more importantly, they were heavier than the Norweigan ones. I reckon the Norges know a thing or two about rucks as well as the swedes. The thing about these old style rucksacks is that they are more robust AND they have probably about 100 years of development going into them. So, tried & tested is the way to go for me for essential bits of kit infrastructure. Originally we wanted modern internal frame types, but after examining the selection & weighing up many factors, we ended up with the framed Norge ones. Our choice of course.

I know cordura modern ones are used all over the world by military units and mountaineers etc - but I always temper this thinking with the fact theat the military can reissue damaged kit and expedition folk can usually find repacements if needed. Ok I accept the more expensive kit/rucksack of this type are going to be pretty robust, but you pay for that priviledge - whereas these so called OBSELET designs are cheap as chips and whats more, I can repair these out in the field more easily. I have had straps break on overloaded rucksacks before and plastic clips break, especially with age & exposure to UV radiation.

Also, just to reiterate, It was commented on by a few folk, that these old style rucksacks did not look particularily military to the modern layperson and so combined with other mil & non mil kit may help to keep a lower profile. This I am striving to achieve as time goes on. (I.M.O.)

Regards, TL.

Messages In This Thread
Rucksack disaster, advice sought plez - by Paul - 28 April 2012, 22:19
RE: Rucksack disaster, advice sought plez - by Timelord - 28 April 2012, 23:46