Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many and what type of arrow / bolt are you stocking?
25 October 2012, 08:45, (This post was last modified: 25 October 2012, 08:48 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: How many and what type of arrow / bolt are you stocking?
Well home security is an interesting subject with multiple facets to consider, oddly enough I feel its not massive power that is the most important but of course you still need to be able to possibly penetrate multiple layers of clothing. I think between 25 and 40 pounds is enough GENERALLY. Its powerful enough to do the required damage, its low enough so that wifey and kids can pick up the same bow and use it without difficulty. Being skint I bought the Barnett Banshee Quad 25 pound compound which is 39 inches long, but you can buy compounds that are much more compact even to under 30 inches axle to axel.

According to the American website HUNTER FRIEND even a 25 pound bow will take small to medium deer.

SMKs ARC3112 Nova is adjustable from 25 to 40 pounds and its only 34 inches and they are under £40
SMKs ARC3103 Little Dino adjusts from 20 to 30 pounds and is only 31 inches but they are £69

Decent arrows with sharp steel tips and a bit of weight are good for the closer ranges of home security but most budget compounds come only supplied with glass fibre shafted, blunt alloy tipped training arrows.

First I converted a few training arrows by aralditing steel field points over the soft alloy head on the training arrows, it would reasonable but Nemesis found the Easton Black Stalker arrows at Bow sports for £34 for 12 and they are high quality alloy shafts with screw in steel tips
If you ever come south of Tyneside you can call in and check my little collection over, Road Warrior was here last week , Binary is coming on the 28th to see my Crossbow, so if viewing mine will help you choose you would be welcome.
NR

Messages In This Thread
RE: How many and what type of arrow / bolt are you stocking? - by NorthernRaider - 25 October 2012, 08:45