Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My EMP Dilemma
26 October 2012, 09:34,
RE: My EMP Dilemma
(26 October 2012, 00:58)Jan Wrote: For me, It may be a case of coming off like a nutcase onetime (if I was to put to them that if the electricity went off, cars don't work after 12 hours).....(hope they listen) (maybe leave a copy of "one second after" or something similar at there house - on the bed), I believe that they are not stupid people, so they should get out of dodge any way they can and head towards my folks.

(this is me being optimistic)

I know what you're saying mate. I often fell like that! But we both know it's probably not going to come off well if you give it a try. Being more subtle is going to be the best way. I'd drop in a line like, "This winter is going to be harsh! I've heard from a friend that it's going to be the coldest winter since records began." That's always going to spark attention...and a small shot of adrenalin that will make the next part really stick. "If ANYTHING really bad like that happens, I'm heading to Angelsey to the folks." After that, say something like "I know it sounds nuts to head to mum and dad's, but he's worried the gas supply will run short like it did a couple of years ago, and in certain parts of the country the electrical systems won't be able to cope with the demand." Then you can just say you're off shopping soon to get stuff, before the first snowfall, because if you wait, you'll have to queue for ages and you might not get the stuff you want.

Probably best to split the above into a couple of conversations.
First convo: You're calling her because a friend from the Met told you to stock up soon, because there's a heavy snowfall on it's way.
Second convo: Your friends team underestimated the extent of the cold front. It could last a few weeks, so you're getting extra. Tell her to do the same.
Third convo: It's going to be the coldest since records began. Could damage the powergrid, pretty certain of gas shortage from increased demand. Then say "If it gets that bad, I'm heading up to Mum+Dad's place." Then maybe say "I'll come and get you, if it does, and we can travel up together."

Meeting up with someone is going to be difficult. If they set off a bit late. Or they set off early, wait for you, you set off a day later, and they've assumed the worst and gone up to M+D's, while you're sat there waiting for them to arrive. Better to meet at the location, or go to them and travel up together.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
My EMP Dilemma - by Jan - 26 October 2012, 00:05
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Scythe13 - 26 October 2012, 00:28
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Jan - 26 October 2012, 00:58
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Hrusai - 26 October 2012, 08:36
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by bigpaul - 26 October 2012, 09:19
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Scythe13 - 26 October 2012, 09:34
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Hrusai - 26 October 2012, 09:42
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by bigpaul - 26 October 2012, 12:43
RE: My EMP Dilemma - by Pagan-Mist - 26 October 2012, 13:05