Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newb looking for some air rifle advice
8 February 2013, 12:33,
RE: newb looking for some air rifle advice
Digger its CONSISTANCY that is the key point, you can get some modestly powered air rifles that regardless of the weather or temp will put pellet after pellet into a 1/2 inch group at 25 yards, and you can get full powered air rifles that react so badly to humidity, temp, altitude, wind, type of pellet, weight and shape of pellet that the bloody thing only makes grounds of about 3 inches at 30 yards.

The power is an advantage ONLY if its consistant all the time, most folks will be able to recite tales of some old git in their village who constantly bags rabbits and pigeons with a 40 year old airsporter with leather washers for a piston seal.

Type of gun for consistancy is
A Gas Ram Technology.
B PCP
C Spring

So your thinking is right more power pushing heavier round at higher velocity is good, but only if the round is hitting the spot time after time, This is where the problem often comes from over powered springers, the springs react to humidity, ambient air temp, altutude etc, as does the quality of the seals, and does the seating of the barrel. So if you are lucky the extra 50 FPS will give you that extra bit of usuable power but only if its CONSISTANTLY doing it and the only way to find out is to use the gun .

That BSA Ultra Tactical I had for a while was a tack driver, round after round regardless of weight or type or brand gave damn good groups at 25 and 30 yards, but when I started using Promthius air bullets and Defiant premium air pellets 5.5 mm that 1 inch group became a half inch group, it was calibrated by Tench from the BSA forum at 11.98 ft pound.

My next air rifle will probably be a Stoeger silenced jobby or more likely a BSA Lighting XL Tactical in 22 or 25, but am studying the new gas ram technology to see how consistant and reliable it is.

Messages In This Thread
RE: newb looking for some air rifle advice - by NorthernRaider - 8 February 2013, 12:33