Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
27 May 2013, 11:47,
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
The link works fine now Talon. Excellent piece on the development and use of the Sabre. I know exactly what you mean about the CS1796 LCS as I searched high and low for a good modern reproduction and ended up with the Cold Steel version as it is the only one readily available. Although the Cold Steel 1796 is within historic parameters for the weight, it is in reality a tad too heavy, and I would like to see Cold Steel reduce the weight by around half a pound.
I have sold most of the swords owned as I really want better pieces now. The two I have kept are.
Italian Bastard sword-Christian Fletcher designed built by Valiant Armory
Cold Steel 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre.

I have a selection of "main Gauche" daggers as well, ie Solingen and Torino style. What I really want to do is get a good representation of swords from Oakeshottes typology, but as you are aware Talon the availability and build quality is often suspect. You know exactly what I mean when for instance you compare your old Arms & Armor Durer to a WindlassBig Grin (why on Earth did you sell the AA Durer Talon). What I really want now is a single handed sword of either type X-Xa, Rob Millers type "H" and "Ballinderry" look sweet, or something like Albions type XVI "cut and Thrust" blades.
Some of the Swords I have owned have been complete "dogs" and was glad to see the back of em.
Anything by John Barnett is pants and not fit to peel tatties, I had a Mortuary Sword and it was terrible lol.
Hanwei "cromwell" was a lovely looking sword with a real Sharkskin wrap on the hilt and a nice "antiqued" effect, but it was just too heavy and unresponsive for what should be a fast and lively type sword.
I had a Windlass Sticklestad Viking sword and while the blade was ok it had a terrible edge on it and a Suede Handle hehe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat - by Tartar Horde - 27 May 2013, 11:47