Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
28 May 2013, 05:23,
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat
From what I understand the general consensus is Cold Steel use 1055 or 1060 .Euro style swords are made in India and the Japanese style swords are made in china ( Longquan most likely). This makes sense when their entire advertising is hyped towards extreme toughness. A 1060 blade will be a lot less inclined to chip compared to 1095 due to the lower carbon content,and it can take a beating.

I've never heard of Cold Steel using o1 for swords .It doesn't make sense to me when 1060 is cheaper and freely available (not to mention much better suited as a sword steel). o1 makes an excellent knife steel but it becomes brittle when taken up to sword length.The Chinese do use T10 tool steel,it takes a very hard edge and it can show a visible hamon but it can be prone to chipping (lots of katana are made in T10).

Now i'm not a fan of Cold Steel as I can't stand their aggressive marketing techniques, and I think Llyn Thompson is a bit of a tit to be honest, but I'd be amazed if they're using o1.
As for their adverts,yes i'm sure that they use a few swords to do their testing,with a lot of takes in between.Then I believe they edit the vid's to try and fool people into thinking it's one sword they used.

Messages In This Thread
RE: dispelling Myths about medieval Combat - by Talon - 28 May 2013, 05:23