Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages
13 June 2013, 20:30, (This post was last modified: 13 June 2013, 20:40 by Highlander.)
RE: Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages
(13 June 2013, 17:34)Skean Dhude Wrote: wants is not the same as needs.

We want electrickery to make thing better but we are prepared to live without it.

I agree with SD,... if we have to do without, then that's the way things will have to be, we will have to adapt.

... but yes I would like to see the power back on,.. if we dont get the power back on and other people/countries do,.. then I am guessing that the event that turned the power off in the first place might well be the least of our problems

I remember growing up as a kid without power, we didn't have it till about the early 60`s,..and it wasn't that pleasant, I remember coming home from friends who had power and wishing we lived somewhere else

BP,..sorry, you asked how we managed.

The winters were the worst, it was starting to get dark by about 5pm, from then on life itself was dark, we lite oil lamps and candles if necessary, but the light is never great with those and very often the eyes would hurt, sometimes from the oil smoke, but more often than not the strain the eyes were put to

Once the darkness came, there was little to do, it was hard to read by that light, I would do so by the light from the fire if I could as that was a better light, I remember burning the edge of a book like that one day and getting a good hiding for it

We had a fairly big range then that was used for cooking, I remember my mum asking my dad to hold the light still so she could see into the pot,..although she did try to cook everything during the day and we would eat anything late cold

Going by candle light has always seemed a bit romantic to many people, but its not like that, in the summer, its hardly a problem, but in the winter it effects almost every part of life.,... why do you think families were big before electric,...it was because there was little to do but to go to bed...Smile

I remember parties around our place when we finally flicked that switch
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Post TU Comms / Groups and Villages - by Highlander - 13 June 2013, 20:30