Poll: Share or not to share
Yes - Share across kits
No - Don't share across kits
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Doubling up on equipment Car kit / Bug out kit
12 February 2012, 19:00, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2012, 19:02 by Scythe13.)
RE: Doubling up on equipment Car kit / Bug out kit
I'm all for doubling up.

When building a kit, I'm strongly in favour of having a 'write-off' mentality. If you put something in a kit, you write it off. It never existed as far as you should be concerned. You can't go rummaging through your BOB to get your mini stove for a camping trip. Once something is in a kit, you write it off.

If someone asks me about my kit in the car, I have a full BOB (soon to be moved into an ultra light kit), a full GHB, and a few changes of clothes, along with the usual car equipment, change of bulbs, a box of tins, first aid kit, a few extra litres of water, blankets, road salt, spade, and other things you should have in your car (common sense items). I also have the same in the bedroom of the house. Why? Because my car has windows that can be smashed. It is able to be stolen, set on fire, or something like that. It's better to have too much and not use it, than it is to have too little and need it.

At the end of the day, would you sleep better knowing you had a kit in the car and a kit in the house? If you're out and about and something happens that stops you getting inside your house, you'll thank me for getting you to double up.
In regards to you having the same kit in everyone's bags, I'd recommend getting interchangeable items.

Make sure everyone has the same style of camping gas lids. You don't want someone carrying screw top gas when you only have a straight click type cooker.

Standardise all the kit, and look to having 1 double up for every 3 bags.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doubling up on equipment Car kit / Bug out kit - by Scythe13 - 12 February 2012, 19:00