Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
31 March 2014, 10:26, (This post was last modified: 31 March 2014, 10:31 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
Some good feedback coming in on this thread, I thank y'all Smile So many options that could be tailored to meet different folks own needs n wishes. In my own case for MRS NR and myself with getting her home from work and NR junior home from 6th form the very small 4x4 appears to have the most for it and I'll explain why. Whilst I would like a Landy or real 4x4 like a Geland Smile the problem is that if the main or primary roads are unavailable the alternative routes in recent years have become very limited. Many of the small rural back ways home around here cross various farmers, council , ex colliery land and in recent years those land owners have been blighted by travellers accessing the land illegally and taking months to evict. Accordingly a lot of the farmers have blocked either totally or partially many of the routes I could have used with huge tree trunks or lumps of concrete only leaving enough land for them to get by on Quads and Mules. Equally the local authorities have been increasing the use of fencing and ditches around common land to keep the travellers out and using steel barriers to keep them out at the main entrances. They have left enough room for the councils motorised grass cutters to get through . I reckon t a push I could get Jimny or Terios sized vehicles through those remaining gaps without having to stop, dismount and deploy a winch ( something the travellers have been seen doing) . If TSHTF I want to recover my family quite and get home without delay.

Naturally you my peers all face different geography and topography so a mini van or full sized 4x4 is still the best option available for your needs. But if you have not checked your alternative in / out routes fully in recent years I suggest a fully recce with a tape measure to hand, it could be prudent cos I reckon farmers and land owners in other areas will also have been busy making access points to their turf small and more difficult to access. I heartily recommend trying to find swift remote routes home that require the absolute minimum dismounting and use of winches.

Skean Dhude
RE: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
Just to be clear. You may decide you are bugging in but circumstances may change and you are forced away. You need to have a back up plan for that eventuality.

I do have alternate plans in place should we be forced out, but as any soldier will tell you most plans fail within seconds of the first shot being fired. I know my luck is usually not good and I cannot plan for every alternative, I don't think any of us could, but my "current" primary plan is to bug IN, but traffic up here is becoming a serious issue even with 4 primary roads N to S and W to E there appears to be gridlock log for hours each day, so its head into the maps for bridle ways, RUPPS, Green lanes, farm tracks , cycle ways and old railway lines etc for me for now.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED......... - by NorthernRaider - 31 March 2014, 10:26