Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Q If you are buggin in do you NEED.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
a big sodding 4x4 or does it makes sense to use a vehicle that get onto narrow paths, tow paths, small lanes, bridleways, alleyways etc?
Depends on the time of year NR , but a small van ....fine.....trany even better , but 4x4 will do all year ...the other thing to consider is in a gridlock situ.....4x4 offers more options .....and yes a have a 4x4 but that's my choice and my reason for getting it .......that's how I sold it to wifey.......
We currently use a small Mitsy shogun pinin 3 door but its a full width vehicle though incredibly short, but its got terminal tin worm so I'm contemplating a Jimny or Terios for she who must be obeyed.
ive been looking at the jimny
have a 4x4 but we tow horses so need a tow capacity of 2000kg 905kg for the ifor williams 380kg for the mare and 410 kg for the gelding(still growing)80kg tack water haynets and tools....love a jimny but not man enough for my current needs...always grab one if there available for hire on hols and three or four years ago i hired one with a 1.9 diesel engine in...never seen one since but boy would that be a tool for after an event.
if I was looking for another vehicle I'd buy a Suzuki carryvan or one of those DFSK minivan things or may be a Piaggio Porter van, we were looking for a van with windows and that's what we got, its called a Citreon Berlingo! if your bugging IN do you need a sodding big van or a 4X4...chances are you'll never use the 4X4 bit, most large vans or any large car are too big for the lanes around here post SHTF, what we need is something you could drive through without stopping or pulling in too much if you meet something else, you'd be surprised what gaps I can get the Berlingo through or into, anything larger would get stuck.
I have a 4x4 and wouldn't be without it, but also my main hobby is Green Laning, so the need is fairly obvious!

But, that said, you mentioned bridleways and tow paths etc, so whilst a 2wd vehicle may cope with the majority of these surfaces when the conditions are good/fair; as soon as they turn bad/wet/icy/obstructions etc, then you are going to be buggered 70% of the time. Also a lot of vehicles may struggle just trying to leave the road, a 2wd car/van on normal road tyres trying to traverse a slight incline on wet grass can be so comical!! We've all seen pictures on the TV where 100's of cars are stuck in a flat level field after a country fair and need towing out.

Both the Jimny and Terios are very capable vehicles (with the RIGHT TYRES) for their size as long as you do not need to be towing anything.

The Terios is a more refined/comfortable drive, but then it is a much more modern vehicle complete with all of the additional electronics etc. The Jimny is a bone shaker, but mechanically its very simple and therefore easier to repair/maintain.
im not sure if you need a BOV if your buggin in....think a lot of main roads would be blocked up...ive been in 7am gridlock in Santa Monica and imagine that's what it would be like or worse as a lot of "normals/sheeple" wud conk out thru running out of fuel !! We had a Jeep grand Cherokee this time last year...but sold it due to the sheer thirst of the thing(4.7ltr petrol) and my heavy right foot.
I can only speak for myself but i don't think id use any car unless we had to,and then we would use our normal car , so id rather spend it on other stuff(prep related) and take my chances on the bikes..maybe ..it all as we know depends on the "Event"
I agree RW, if your bugging IN you dont really need any vehicle at all, probably better not to have one as it may just be one more thing to get stolen or trashed.
Do not agree BP ...whilst I intend to bug in , if I had to bug out I could get away quite easy where I am , needless to say it suits my particular situation, I suppose we all have differing situations, in a city you are up agaist it or even a town or built up area, as for anyone wanting to steal it ...again very valid point......and very desirable , in my case I can hide mine without any fuss, again I am lucky , but many do not have this option, I have 2.8 lwb bitchy but for all that does not guarantee me making it .....but I stand a bloody good chance.....got to tax the bastard Monday...to fill it full of derv the cost is 110 quid....not a bad price for a ticket to who knows where, one way most probably .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9