Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long would you want to survive?
26 June 2014, 17:18,
RE: How long would you want to survive?
Realistically and honestly I do have a few limits and they deal directly with pain and "quality if life".

I have gone through several injuries that caused extreme pain for long periods of time. I am talking about constant screaming pain that keeps one curled up an the fetal position and unable to function. If that happened post event and there was no medical access to procedures/medication that would eliminate extreme pain I would not last long.

If there has never been a time in your life when you wanted to die then you have never experienced real pain. There is a thing known as the "sweet release of death".

When I was in the army I saw a lot if injuries that would have ended meaningful life. Sad to say, but in those days we would have a talk with the unit medic and tell him when to allow us to bleed out and die. No life without arms and legs, fed through a feeding tube with a colostomy bag taped to the bed rail for me thank you!

Historically, there was a time when "battle field medicine" included finishing off the severely wounded when there was no hope of recovery. A mallet blow to the base of the skull was common, or a spike driven into the brain stem.

My limit was clear. If I still had one arm save me. If both arms were gone do not treat me. Same for traumatic brain injury, just let me bleed out please.

It was actually no different that having a Do Not Resuscitate Order or instruction for when to "pull the plug" in ones living will.

I can hear the argument even now. All the kids gathered around and the Son looking at the Daughter saying,

"You pull it."
"No you pull it!"
"Everyone get out of the way, Gramps said I could pull it."
"No don't pull it, all the pretty lights will go out!"

Post event I suppose they will just smother me with a pillow.

Right now I have a "use by date". About 6 weeks after my heart meds run out I will have "the big one" and die. That is simply the course of life which preppers like me deal with. My life extends only a little past my med supply and that supply is controlled by others.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How long would you want to survive? - by Mortblanc - 26 June 2014, 17:18