Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'.
1 March 2015, 10:20,
'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'.
I have a serious question for you.
What is the difference between a ‘survivalist’ and a ‘prepper’ and why has the term ‘prepper’ become so popular.

If you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism it says that, “For a time in the 1970s, the terms survivalist and retreater were used interchangeably. While the term retreater eventually fell into disuse, many who subscribed to it saw retreating as the more rational approach to conflict-avoidance and remote "invisibility". Survivalism, on the other hand, tended to take on a more media-sensationalized, combative, "shoot-it-out-with-the-looters" image.”

Under Survivalist Terminology it defines a “Prepper: A synonym for survivalist that came into common usage during the late 1990s. Used interchangeably with survivalist much as retreater was in the 1970s. Refers to one who is prepared or making preparations.”

So although for a time back in the 1970’s the terms ‘survivalist’ and ‘retreater’ were used interchangeably apparently the term ‘retreater’ fell into disuse.
Might that same happen with ‘prepper’.

My personal thoughts are that ‘prepper’ sounds funny and although it may mean I prepare it does in my mind install anything serious into the minds of others. Whereas ‘survivalist’ does show, in my mind, what you are on about, survival and surviving. Which is one step forward from just prepping.

I know I am going to open myself yet again to daft silly answers, which is partly why this forum has gone downhill. But I thought I would give it one last go.

Messages In This Thread
'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by John - 1 March 2015, 10:20
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Skean Dhude - 1 March 2015, 12:02
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Devonian - 1 March 2015, 12:02
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by bigpaul - 1 March 2015, 12:17
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Devonian - 1 March 2015, 12:56
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by bigpaul - 1 March 2015, 14:57
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Midnitemo - 1 March 2015, 15:08
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Devonian - 1 March 2015, 15:09
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by bigpaul - 1 March 2015, 19:19
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Geordie_Rob - 2 March 2015, 16:31
RE: 'Survivalist' or 'Prepper'. - by Steve - 2 March 2015, 20:27