Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"addicted to technology".
2 June 2015, 20:15,
RE: "addicted to technology".
I wouldn't underestimate the resilience of the internet. Don't forget it was designed to withstand nuclear attack! Its distributed nature gives it strength.

I think what is more likely is either:
a) A failure of, or attack on, a key service provider (say a data centre or utility company), or
a) A problem with the "last mile", e.g. telephone lines bringing the internet into your home being damaged in a storm, or maybe a whole town being cut off.

Either of these could lead to the disruption, followed by disorder, discussed above. But I think the core infrastructure would survive.

Still makes sense to assume it wouldn't however. So, sensible preps would include:
- Keeping a reserve of cash in case ATMs stop working or shops can't handle card transactions
- Keeping a supply of food to avoid the need to visit ATMs or shops, together with the associated unpleasantness
- Having a battery-operated transistor radio to keep up to date with the news
- Possibly, having alternative comms - although for me personally this wouldn't be a priority. WTSHTF I'll be going dark and maintaining as low a profile as possible.
- Keeping vehicle fuel tanks full, together with some spare in jerry cans. (A runnable car engine provides many benefits; as well as getting you around it provides a source of electrical power, light to work by and, at a pinch, somewhere to keep warm. For generating power it is likely to be more efficient than a small generator).
- Having a method of purifying water and a store of rainwater in case the pumping station goes down. (The man from our water board tells me that our supply is gravity-fed, requiring no pumping. The treatment station does, however, require pumps).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
"addicted to technology". - by bigpaul - 2 June 2015, 11:42
RE: "addicted to technology". - by bigpaul - 2 June 2015, 16:41
RE: "addicted to technology". - by bigpaul - 2 June 2015, 17:00
RE: "addicted to technology". - by Midnitemo - 2 June 2015, 18:07
RE: "addicted to technology". - by bigpaul - 2 June 2015, 18:19
RE: "addicted to technology". - by Tarrel - 2 June 2015, 20:15
RE: "addicted to technology". - by Devonian - 3 June 2015, 12:06
RE: "addicted to technology". - by bigpaul - 3 June 2015, 15:51
RE: "addicted to technology". - by iaaems - 4 June 2015, 07:14