Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your cache plans
30 July 2012, 19:25,
Your cache plans
(Sorry if this is wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it as it could fit in food storage, threats and risks etc.)

One thing I don't quite understand about the logistics of caching: once the SHTF, you bug out and dig up your caches, what do you do with them? Most people don't seem to
Do you put each cache close to a potential BOL?
Do you only store enough that you can just resupply and keep moving?

The problem I'm thinking about is carrying a 20kg storage box through the woods. Anybody who's done any lifting/shifting will know it's not the weight that's the issue, but the shape of the box. If you can fit the extra 20kg in your bag it's happy days, but I wouldn't want to have to carry a large container very far, especially one filled with tinned food or something.

I'm a bug-in guy by preference, but I was doing a little bugout planning last night and this issue came up, because ideally I would like a cache very close to my home.

I think my solution will be to have a backpack in each cache, that's capable of carrying at least half the cache. Then I can cover up the cache again, attach the backpack to my rucksack and go on my merry way.

It's just something I haven't seen anyone talk about, and it also crossed my mind watching one of the doomsday preppers episodes. It showed him practising a bugout and hitting one of his caches on the way. Him and his family stopped to eat and drink, but they were left with this big plastic container still full of stuff, and it never addressed the issue. It just cut to them carrying on walking with no indication of whether they shared the stuff out to carry in the rucksacks or buried it again or...?
Obviously if you can carry it in your rucksack that's fine, but most people's BOB tends to be pretty full without it having to carry the caches they pick up too Big Grin
Would be interested to hear your opinions/plans

Messages In This Thread
Your cache plans - by HunterNurturer - 30 July 2012, 19:25
RE: Your cache plans - by Skean Dhude - 30 July 2012, 20:04
RE: Your cache plans - by NorthernRaider - 30 July 2012, 22:20