Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store?
2 February 2013, 19:55, (This post was last modified: 2 February 2013, 19:57 by Scythe13.)
RE: Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store?
(2 February 2013, 19:33)bigpaul Wrote: that was because they didnt eat the right sort of diet, they didnt have access to fresh fruit and veg.

Amazingly, there is no evidence for the requirement for fruit in the diet.

However, access to fresh veg was still there....but in 3-5 of the 12 months in each year. The quality of the veg was pretty low as well. Thankfully we have wonderful GM crops, pesticides, chemical fertilisers, and loads of cool science stuff (no seriously, I'm well into the whole 'frankenfood' thing! I'm all for GM and radiated crops. Argue all you want, but that's just how it is. I'm stubborn as a mule, smell like one too).

Crops would be harvested in the agrarian age (because they had farms and would have understood planting and harvesting cycles), so winter would consist of mostly meat, oats, wheat, and other stored grains. Not very big in the ol'vitamin ratio. Winter would be the main time you'd be looking to supplement, in my opinion.

The ideal thing to grow would be spinach! That's packed with sooo many vitamins (the iron level is actually wrong, the original studies of iron levels in spinach actually placed the decimal point in the wrong place, and there's 1/10th the iron that people believe. It's one of those lesser known facts of nutrition, but if you google it you'll be able to laugh at nearly all the packaging in the supermarkets haha). Even with spinach as your main vitamin and mineral provider, you'd still need to supplement with a vitamin B-complex (covering the B-Vitamin spectrum).

My BOB has a small tub of about 100 multi vit+mineral. But if you get a tub, you can add about another 40% more tablets than is already in there. As long as you get an anti oxidiser and a water absorber in there, the vitamins will last a lot longer, and you'll have much more in each pack than you initially did (better use of space).

Probably should mention, carob is full of ALL the vitamins and minerals you need!!! It's basically chocolate, but not as sweet.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would Vitamin pills be a good thing to store? - by Scythe13 - 2 February 2013, 19:55